Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2010, 06:19 AM

Confused with puppy feeding

I currently give our 14 week old labrador 50grammes three times a day.

When do I up it and then cut to two meals a day?

I have read lots of info but they all seem to contradict each other and the back of the food bag is very non commital.

Anybody got a lab similar or had one and can help?

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Hi Jols I would say your puppy should be on three meals a day from 12 weeks to at least 6 months, then you could drop to 2.
Do not be in a hurry to cut out meals, puppies should be 'grown slowly' so better to reduce the amount you feed at each meal rather than eliminating a meal altogether. Feeding too much at one meal can distend a puppy's tummy and make it uncomfortable, it may also cause it to regurgitate food .

As a rule of thumb if you are feeding a manufactured dog food take the producers instructions for the daily amount as a rough guide and divide this quantity between three. You can adjust this amount as dictated by your puppies weight and general appearance. It is difficult to be precise about food quantities because a dog's weight can vary according to a number of factors including the amount of exercise it gets.

When feeding fresh food the old rule of thumb used to be an ounce of food per 1b body weight for a puppy and half an ounce for an adult.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for that

three meals til 6 months then...sorted.

still not sure on the weight though.

for my dogs weight it says on the bag between 200-400g a day

that is quite a difference.
Meg
Supervisor

18-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Thanks for that

three meals til 6 months then...sorted.

still not sure on the weight though.

for my dogs weight it says on the bag between 200-400g a day

that is quite a difference.
Hi Jols go for the middle then 300g a day and watch your puppy's growth to see if that is about right then adjust the amount accordingly.

As I said the amount to feed is not an exact science, the manufacturers recommended quantities are I guess based on the assumption a dog is the optimum weight. Remember one is basing the amount a dog is fed on the current weight of the dog and if it is already over or underweight some correction to the amount being fed will be needed to achieve the desired weight.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks

How do you guys weigh your dog ?

Do you always take him to the vet?
Meg
Supervisor

18-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Thanks

How do you guys weigh your dog ?

Do you always take him to the vet?
Hi Jols do you have bathroom scales? Weigh yourself first,weigh yourself holding the dog then subtract the first sum from the second to give the dog's weight.
Don't get too hung up on weight, the hand and eye are your best indication of the correct weight of your dog.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2010, 09:41 AM
My Labrador is 25 weeks. We used to give him 3 handfuls 3 times a day. He is still on the same amount now and still fed 3 times. He was weighed just over a week ago at the vets and weighed 19 kg. I have always taken Bruce to the vets for weighing but think Pets at Home have Scales.
I suppose you could always weigh yourself on your bathroom scales and then weigh again holding your pup and deduct your weight from total. Though going by how quick Bruce has grown you wouldn't be able to weigh that way for long!
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks will do the bathroom scales today.........vets only around the corner might pop there end of the week......