Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 03:22 PM

Advice/ideas about Cats, please

Hi, I'm writing on behalf of my friend, and as I know nothing about cats, other than they are the bain of Jacks life I thought I'd ask on here

My friend rescued a kitten earlier this year, to start with Domino was absolutely fine, very clean, did everything in her dirt tray and is a joy to have, but the last week or so, she has been weeing in the house and not in her dirt tray, she's been going on the carpet, but last night she did it on my friends bed she's not been neutered yet and has just had her first jab, so hasn't been outside yet, but got a clean bill of health from the vet, she's also just had a season.

Does anyone know why she may have just suddenly starting being messy around the house, my friend wondered if she is over cleaning her dirt tray (I said probably not), whenever she does a poo, she cleans it up immediately, and when she has wee'd, she covers it up and wipes round the top of the box with vinegar solution, but she has always done this, so it's not a new thing, but she did wonder if Domino needs her smell on it to know where to go but her box is always in the same place, she uses that gell stuff and not that gritty stuff, any ideas will be gratefully received

Here's a picture of the little darling

youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Not sure what her first season means.
Cats come into season between March/April to September/October. With cats its all the warmer months, and when a Tom comes around and starts calling the female will respond....and season is triggered.
Breeders who keep them in pens can simulate the lighter nights by using lights so they can breed later than the normal months.
Once she is spayed then she should start to get clean again. I think this is her hormones kicking in as she is in breeding season and will be till the darker nights
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Ah, thanks Stevie see, I told you I knew nothing about cats

About the season, my friend just assumed she was having her first as she was acting different, mewing a lot and strutting about with her tail in the air, and shoving her rear end in my friends face

I will pass on what you have said, I know it will ease my friends mind
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 03:45 PM
hay,
If the messing is in different places it sugests a uti rather than scent marking. I would rule a water infection out firstly. Cats dont understand that thay have a uti they just no that it hurts when they use their tray so they think it is the tray hurting them.

As for coming into season this could be an option, but they can come into season 12months of the year. She can be spayed from five and a half months if she is big enough.

What type of tray is it? If its one with the cat flap door try taking this off, one of my males went dirty for a time and was fine once we took the cat flap off.

Is it the same litter being used?

I would stop using the vinigar solutionm, this could be detering her as she is becoming more mature.

Where is the box? cats like privacy so try a 2nd try in a quieter place

Good luck.

ATD x
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks ATD

The litter tray is similar to this one http://www.petsathome.com/shop/litte...n-n-tidy-26666 and my friend has always used the same sort of litter, in fact nothing has changed at all, she feeds her the same, and has fresh fish once a week, is this wise

If Domino did have a UTI wouldn't my friend be able to smell it, or the colour of her urine be different

I will pass on your comments, I know my friend will be very grateful
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Not always especially if she is doing somewhere you can not see it clearly
were is the tray in the house?
ATD x
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 05:28 PM
The tray is in the bedroom, but my friend lives in a ground floor flat, and Domino has access to the tray 24/7
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
Ah, thanks Stevie see, I told you I knew nothing about cats

About the season, my friend just assumed she was having her first as she was acting different, mewing a lot and strutting about with her tail in the air, and shoving her rear end in my friends face

I will pass on what you have said, I know it will ease my friends mind
Thats her season I would bet my bottom dollar on it....sounds to me as if she wants a man friend.

Your friend could speak to the vet and he'll advise her re the spay, and she'll be fine.
Leve her and she will drive your mate barmy
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks Stevie, Domino is back at the vets in the next couple of weeks for her second jab, so my friend will talk to the vet then

She has asked me to thank everyone for their advice on little Domino, she's much more at ease now she knows the reason behind her behavior and is changing her name to Lilo Lil