Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pointyhound
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-05-2010, 01:03 PM

Confusing bottom

Now then, this is really confusing me.

My boy has a red sore looking patch under his tail at 10 o'clock to his bottom hole.
Could this be an anal gland issue?
I've always thought they were kind of 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock kind of area. He's had anal gland problems before, but they havn't looked red and we had advance warning because he licked excessively. This time, he hasn't been licking the bum much at all in recent days/weeks and certainly hasn't been scooting.

To add to my confusion, he had a tussle with a hodgeheg in the small hours of Friday morning. I cleaned him up and he had spkies in his face and some grazes on his legs. He also had a piece of brown, which I assumed was mud, in exactly the same place as this red sore patch. I didn't clean that bit cos I thought he could do it himself.
There is a chance he excessively licked that part clean, making it red, or the brown could have been a piece of hedgehog and he'd got spiked?

This morning it is looking much more red and I tried to pick him up to take him over a stile and he wouldn't be picked up. He's still not paying it any attention but it must be sore.

So, do you think it's anal glands?

If it doesn't look like it's getting better by the morning I'll call the vet, but it's really annoyingly confusing!
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Anal glands are located on the upper 10 and 2 positions just inside the anus. So it could be an anal gland.