youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
That's great to hear sis, good ol' Onion there's life in the old bird yet

xx
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Great news to hear this morning. Pleased Onion seems to have rallied and is on the road to good health xx
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
So pleased to hear that she is continuing to recover
Thanks for that guys she is still with us xxxxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Fingers and toes crossed that Onion is still recovering this morning

x0x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Well sad news from here, I actually found a chicken vet, who has looked at Onion and said that he feels it is more an age thing, Paxo was poorly yesterday too and again he thinks that age is against her too

He was telling me that in some of the battery farms they are forced for thier first 52 weeks of laying to lay way above the average eggs, by the false lighting and the food they are fed on, and its 24/7, (which I knew) but as regards the age that the ex battery welfare said (17 months when I had them), the Vet said this is difficult to say, some birds are older before they are disposed of, it all depends on when they come down to laying between 1 and 3 a day, once that happens then they are got rid of, which as he rightly says doesn't always happen at 17 months, they could of been as old a 2 years, making them near 4 years now.
He has taken some tests which he will ring me about, but has been quite frank about his opinion feeling that age has caught up and that I maybe looking at them simply being old birds He was a lovely chap and deals solely with farm livestock so knows his stuff, but was very sympathetic that I would like to at least try, and if Paxo gets worse I will return her for him to PTS

However Onion is out in the run and chirpy and eating /drinking so things with her are more hopeful xx
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm so sorry to hear the news about Paxo and just hope that day isn't too soon. Brilliant to hear Onion is feeling better though so continued positive vibes for both of them.

Amazing in this day and age and with the amount of education around that people still buy battery eggs and support this barbaric practice. Even the college I work at now use free range and they are in the dark ages with so many things!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Sorry to hear the news from the vet. But at least you can console yourself that you allowed ex battery hens to live to old age. As you say, they become useless to the farmer very early in life. I hope Paxo and Onion continue to live out their lifes feeling loved and at peace, a future so many chickens never even get close to. Give them a hug from us. xx
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Aw Steph sorry to hear about Paxo but pleased onion seems to have rallied. You have given your feathered friends the life of luxury that is what is important here they are lucky "old" birds. Lets hope you have them for a long time to come.
Hugs xxx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 10:59 AM
awe hun, really hope they are both on the mend soon,

massive vibes x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
I'm so sorry to hear the news about Paxo and just hope that day isn't too soon. Brilliant to hear Onion is feeling better though so continued positive vibes for both of them.

Amazing in this day and age and with the amount of education around that people still buy battery eggs and support this barbaric practice. Even the college I work at now use free range and they are in the dark ages with so many things!
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Sorry to hear the news from the vet. But at least you can console yourself that you allowed ex battery hens to live to old age. As you say, they become useless to the farmer very early in life. I hope Paxo and Onion continue to live out their lifes feeling loved and at peace, a future so many chickens never even get close to. Give them a hug from us. xx
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Aw Steph sorry to hear about Paxo but pleased onion seems to have rallied. You have given your feathered friends the life of luxury that is what is important here they are lucky "old" birds. Lets hope you have them for a long time to come.
Hugs xxx
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
awe hun, really hope they are both on the mend soon,

massive vibes x
Thank you guys............Pat has just returned home with Paxo, she was suffering and we made the right decision.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Hugs to you both Steph. Paxo had a wonderful life with you. xxxx
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >