Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
So sorry about your TB Laura That must have been heartbreaking. Zack and Zorro are both absolutely gorgeous. Having come to riding a bit later in life (and totally regretting that now, as I love it!) I don't think I will ever be like a bat out of hell and will be more than happy with a forward going happy hacker Did you buy your ponies from breeders?
No Im not a bat out of hell anymore
I bought Zack privately and Zorro was an ex school horse, however that was a good point for Ian (novice) he's no good out in traffic as he's obviously just been used in the school and never ventured out.
I'd get a horse on trial before committing to buying if you can. A good owner would appreciate you taking the time with their horse at least they would know it was the right home etc.
Thank you regarding our TB (Sid) it was a traumatic time.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
No Im not a bat out of hell anymore
I bought Zack privately and Zorro was an ex school horse, however that was a good point for Ian (novice) he's no good out in traffic as he's obviously just been used in the school and never ventured out.
I'd get a horse on trial before committing to buying if you can. A good owner would appreciate you taking the time with their horse at least they would know it was the right home etc.
Thank you regarding our TB (Sid) it was a traumatic time.
That is a good idea about a trial, and I will see what is available when the time comes.

Going to PM you about Ian now
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I know everyone has their own opinion on different ponies/horses, but the horse dentist who came up to the estate to clip the alpacas teeth, said that he would highly recommend a nice Highland for me (being a novice rider and also living where we do)
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah I'd go with that, I know one near us it has the most amazing REALLY thick coat in the winter too, so def no need for rugs where as if I had some of the other breeds I'd rug the when too cold.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 11:22 AM
I had a lovely Welsh mountin pony when i was younger called Bonny. We got him when i was 3 and he was still going strong when i last went to see him a couple of years ago (he is out on perm loan as my parents had to sell our small holding when i was 19).

He was a cheeky sod but was very bright and was never ill, had hoofs like granite that only ever had to be trimmed by the blacksmith. He was the older type without the dished face and was a light grey. Will dig out a piccy tonight as i have some on my [a social network].
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I have natives

I have 2 welshies, an A and a D, a welsh x arab and cob/draft boy.

My welshies are very intelligent, my D is a complete drama queen, but they are both very sure footed, lots of stamina and will go all day, they are both very good dooers.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I tell you one that's really quiet, with a touch of class, is the Cleveland Bay. My friend had one and he was a dream to ride. I think the Queen has Cleveland Bays doesn't she? There you go Kirsty, you can be all regal sitting on top of one of those!

Don't buy an arab is my only advice, they're scatty, nervous, gorgeous to look at, more for the showing world, but they are seriously lacking in brains imo! Anglo arabs (half and half) are ok, but I still wouldn't have one myself.

TB's are very skittish and keep you on their toes, they have a habit of shying, usually sideways, at anything flapping in the breeze or in the hedge, and it can be undaunting for a novice rider, especially when travelling at speed lol! I know that to my cost!!! I always stayed onboard though

The welshies can be very strong, and strong willed too, but a lovely ride, with a spring in their step, and very "safe"(ish!).

The Connomara (sp?) are excellent jumpers, along with the Irish Sports Horses, but anything Irish is gonna jump like a stag!

Don't get into the warmbloods (Dutch) coz they are far too classy and expensive for what you want, they're more for dressage and experienced riders, I always wanted one of those myself.

The Irish Draught, especially yours Luz, is just magnificent! My friend had a stallion, pure ID and she let me ride him in the school once over a few jumps and WOW, he almost jumped me out of the saddle as he flew over them, but of course, he was worried about his undercarraige I think, they are just to die for and I love them.

The 1/8 ID I had in my horse, calmed him down somewhat from a pure TB, but if I could have had more of the ID I certainly would!

Oh I can't wait till you're all saddled up Kirsty!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
Yeah I'd go with that, I know one near us it has the most amazing REALLY thick coat in the winter too, so def no need for rugs where as if I had some of the other breeds I'd rug the when too cold.
We do get some pretty harsh winters here, but I also have a barn, which could be partially converted to a stable in really bad weather (like this winter!) or hubby says we could knock down one of our sheds and build a new stable It would be a very cossetted HiPo
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I had a lovely Welsh mountin pony when i was younger called Bonny. We got him when i was 3 and he was still going strong when i last went to see him a couple of years ago (he is out on perm loan as my parents had to sell our small holding when i was 19).

He was a cheeky sod but was very bright and was never ill, had hoofs like granite that only ever had to be trimmed by the blacksmith. He was the older type without the dished face and was a light grey. Will dig out a piccy tonight as i have some on my [System edit: Contains pet groups].
Would love to see your photos. He sounds fab.

Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I have natives
I have 2 welshies, an A and a D, a welsh x arab and cob/draft boy.
My welshies are very intelligent, my D is a complete drama queen, but they are both very sure footed, lots of stamina and will go all day, they are both very good dooers.
I do like the Welsh sec D's, but the dentist rolled his eyes at them for some reason? He suggested a Highland before hubby even mentioned they were my fave natives, as he thinks where we live would be ideal for one. Also, I am really wanting a sure footed ride, as my main riding tracks on the hills up here are old drovers roads. I am hoping to find one (when the time is right) that is forward going though and not too much of a plod
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I tell you one that's really quiet, with a touch of class, is the Cleveland Bay. My friend had one and he was a dream to ride. I think the Queen has Cleveland Bays doesn't she? There you go Kirsty, you can be all regal sitting on top of one of those!

Don't buy an arab is my only advice, they're scatty, nervous, gorgeous to look at, more for the showing world, but they are seriously lacking in brains imo! Anglo arabs (half and half) are ok, but I still wouldn't have one myself.

TB's are very skittish and keep you on their toes, they have a habit of shying, usually sideways, at anything flapping in the breeze or in the hedge, and it can be undaunting for a novice rider, especially when travelling at speed lol! I know that to my cost!!! I always stayed onboard though

The welshies can be very strong, and strong willed too, but a lovely ride, with a spring in their step, and very "safe"(ish!).

The Connomara (sp?) are excellent jumpers, along with the Irish Sports Horses, but anything Irish is gonna jump like a stag!

Don't get into the warmbloods (Dutch) coz they are far too classy and expensive for what you want, they're more for dressage and experienced riders, I always wanted one of those myself.

The Irish Draught, especially yours Luz, is just magnificent! My friend had a stallion, pure ID and she let me ride him in the school once over a few jumps and WOW, he almost jumped me out of the saddle as he flew over them, but of course, he was worried about his undercarraige I think, they are just to die for and I love them.

The 1/8 ID I had in my horse, calmed him down somewhat from a pure TB, but if I could have had more of the ID I certainly would!

Oh I can't wait till you're all saddled up Kirsty!
lol Helen! The Queen has Highlands too (I do actually love the look of the Cleveland Bay though, I hadn't heard of them before).

Thanks for your rundown on the different types and which to avoid I think I will probably start off with a Highland (nice, steady and safe) and then perhaps get an ID or IDxTB when I am more capable Not sure what hubby will think
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >