Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Re: Connemaras. Would they suit a happy hacker? I am certainly not interested in competition, and just want a bombproof pony to hack out on.
im sure you could find one thats happy just to hack out, I would get in touch with people who deal with the breed regularly and talk to them, Polly came from a breeder,
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2010, 02:25 PM
All I really do with my conn is go out on hacks, if hes left for a month in the field and not ridden he won't be at all different from when he was last ridden and would not say he gets 'fizzy' if not ridden. He is about 15 years + now but have had him since he was 9-10years old and he's not changed a bit. I used to do a bit of jumping and bits with him but we don't have a very good horse trailer any more.

As for hardyness well he lives out all year round we do put a rug on him when it gets really cold and wet but thats mainly cos we are softies, he probably would be ok with out a rug on as he looks like a polabear in the winter and has the thickest coat of our ponies. But the last owners took him in a stable when ever it started to rain they got him from irland when they went on hols they saw him and took him back!!

But yeah totally go with the individual pony rather than breed.

Photos are on the other computer will go look....
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Not really looking at his very best in these pics but you get the idea and you'll just have to trust me that he gets really hairy in the winter as haven't got a pic lol
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Arh pics to big am trying to sort it out

Now sorted
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Ooooh what beautiful pictures of your horses.
I have a Welsh Sec D and a Dales. Both hardy and strong. The welsh (Zack) is probably the most opinionated man Ive ever known! But I adore him with a passion
My Dales (Zorro) is the dream horse and would suit anyone. He's so laid back, strong in all weathers and solid. He will no doubt outlive me. I'd recommend the latter.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
im sure you could find one thats happy just to hack out, I would get in touch with people who deal with the breed regularly and talk to them, Polly came from a breeder,
Thanks Shona. Connemaras do look lovely, but I think the Welsh Sec D and Highlands still just hold the edge for me at the moment.

Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
All I really do with my conn is go out on hacks, if hes left for a month in the field and not ridden he won't be at all different from when he was last ridden and would not say he gets 'fizzy' if not ridden. He is about 15 years + now but have had him since he was 9-10years old and he's not changed a bit. I used to do a bit of jumping and bits with him but we don't have a very good horse trailer any more.
As for hardyness well he lives out all year round we do put a rug on him when it gets really cold and wet but thats mainly cos we are softies, he probably would be ok with out a rug on as he looks like a polabear in the winter and has the thickest coat of our ponies. But the last owners took him in a stable when ever it started to rain they got him from irland when they went on hols they saw him and took him back!!
But yeah totally go with the individual pony rather than breed.
Photos are on the other computer will go look....
He is absolutely beautiful, and I can see why you are so proud of him

Originally Posted by Luz View Post
Ooooh what beautiful pictures of your horses.
I have a Welsh Sec D and a Dales. Both hardy and strong. The welsh (Zack) is probably the most opinionated man Ive ever known! But I adore him with a passion
My Dales (Zorro) is the dream horse and would suit anyone. He's so laid back, strong in all weathers and solid. He will no doubt outlive me. I'd recommend the latter.
Did you sell your Irish Draught Luz? She was gorgeous! Now I need to see piccies of Zack and Zorro please

I can see that asking horsey people which breed is best, is like asking the whole of Dogsey which breed of dog is best Everyone has their own experiences and preferences.

I am loving learning about all the different ponies though, and loving the photos.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 07:26 PM
What about one of the native breeds that are endangered?

I'm thinking Exmoor particularly, but there are others. Not sure how Exmoor - or Dartmoor for that matter - cope with the cold but it's not exactly tropical in their native areas during the winter.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Totally agree with you there lol. I didnt buy the Irish Draught, she was on loan and gave me the bug, we ended up with 3 horses, unfortunately one was kicked in the field (thoroughbred) and was subjected to a spiral fracture so had to be put to sleep.
I do agree with the cobbier horse though, I used to own an Arab and as a young girl I was a bat out of hell with her so she suited my age and temperrment. Now Im more mature and stable (some may disagree lol) I prefer the stability and robustness of these horses.
Hope these pics work.
Zack (Welsh Sec D)

Zorro (Dales) on the left..

maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
DITO, we have a connemara at the farm, its Alannas which she does jumping on, great ponys,

some vid of polly when she first came, {just starting her schooling, she was not broken when we got her.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...emixz152-1.flv
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...uremixz144.flv

polly, Im sure shes 14.3hh? so shes a decent enough size

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
She's gorgeous! I particularly like Connemaras because they are so versatile. You can do everything from Mountain and Moorland classes, hunting, Working Hunter, dressage, eventing, BSJA showjumping or just plain hacking. Our lad Billy was a very lively forward thinking pony because he was competition fit and loved to work. If he had lived out with no hard food he would have been a very mellow chap and just as happy.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
Totally agree with you there lol. I didnt buy the Irish Draught, she was on loan and gave me the bug, we ended up with 3 horses, unfortunately one was kicked in the field (thoroughbred) and was subjected to a spiral fracture so had to be put to sleep.
I do agree with the cobbier horse though, I used to own an Arab and as a young girl I was a bat out of hell with her so she suited my age and temperrment. Now Im more mature and stable (some may disagree lol) I prefer the stability and robustness of these horses.
Hope these pics work.
Zack (Welsh Sec D)

Zorro (Dales) on the left..

So sorry about your TB Laura That must have been heartbreaking. Zack and Zorro are both absolutely gorgeous. Having come to riding a bit later in life (and totally regretting that now, as I love it!) I don't think I will ever be like a bat out of hell and will be more than happy with a forward going happy hacker Did you buy your ponies from breeders?
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >