28-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Kimmerston, near Wooler.
Ohh thats a bit of a trek LOL
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 08:26 PM
I learned to ride on a New Forest gelding called Star ... and he lived up to his name !

You can't beat a good native IMO ... my daughter had a delightful Dartmoor called Pansy Potter who we loaned from a lovely lady who lived in the New Forest. Pansy eventually died at the grand old age of 30 +. We also had a lovely Welsh Cob piebald called Piggy, who was totally stubborn (hence the name), but thoroughly delightful. All the native breeds are tough, hardy, intelligent ... but with a stubborn streak which personally I think lends them their character ... best of all is their sure-footedness, ability to go barefoot (Pansy was never shod, which saved us a fortune in shoes as she only needed a trim every 12 weeks or so) and hardiness. Down side is a tendency towards obesity and laminitis (due to unnatural modern rye grass ... far better if you can to graze them on natural meadowgrass, very rare round these parts) ... Pansy had to wear a grazing muzzle. But apart from the laminitis, they do not have the flat footedness of the thoroughbred.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
soz dont no about highland natives but weve got 2 new forest ponies and they are great, hardy dont need pampering wioth stables in fact they hate stables hate rugs dont cost too much to keep as they live on fresh air
Thanks Angie, any pics?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Ohh thats a bit of a trek LOL
Only an hour from me Everywhere is a trek from up here

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I learned to ride on a New Forest gelding called Star ... and he lived up to his name !
You can't beat a good native IMO ... my daughter had a delightful Dartmoor called Pansy Potter who we loaned from a lovely lady who lived in the New Forest. Pansy eventually died at the grand old age of 30 +. We also had a lovely Welsh Cob piebald called Piggy, who was totally stubborn (hence the name), but thoroughly delightful. All the native breeds are tough, hardy, intelligent ... but with a stubborn streak which personally I think lends them their character ... best of all is their sure-footedness, ability to go barefoot (Pansy was never shod, which saved us a fortune in shoes as she only needed a trim every 12 weeks or so) and hardiness. Down side is a tendency towards obesity and laminitis (due to unnatural modern rye grass ... far better if you can to graze them on natural meadowgrass, very rare round these parts) ... Pansy had to wear a grazing muzzle. But apart from the laminitis, they do not have the flat footedness of the thoroughbred.
Thanks for your experience Gnasher. I have already been warned about laminitis and also obesity Where I live that shouldn't be too much of a problem Any pics of your ponies please?
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Have you thought about a Connemara? My daughter had one that was 13.2 hh, but they do come up bigger. He was a fabulous pony that could jump out of his skin. I have attached a photo of a photo, but you can see what he's like.

liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 10:21 PM
we had a Welsh sec A and a Welsh sec B and 2 Shetlands
I will have to route out pics tho.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 07:52 AM
sec Ds are Lush! Abt more Oomph than a highland!
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2010, 11:09 AM
was going to say Connemara also, I have a 14'3-15hh one he is a total gent, fab stable manners and manners allround, jumps like a stag, really comfortable to ride, brilliant all round he a lovely chap, is as forward going or as relaxed as you want him to be and have seen 15'2hh plus ones.

My lil sis has a new forest x welsh plus maybe something else in her shes 13'2hh and a bit of a madam our farrier calls her a ginger tart...

Then there's Molly Fell x tb shes got her own little ways and can be a bit stroppy you have to be quite matter of fact her.

We also have a coloured cob but shes not mine and has not been schooled properly so you have to do all the work for her.

Good luck looking I found it really worth taking time and being picky about what you want as my con Polo is so lovely IMO.
Might try and put a couple of pics up later.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Have you thought about a Connemara? My daughter had one that was 13.2 hh, but they do come up bigger. He was a fabulous pony that could jump out of his skin. I have attached a photo of a photo, but you can see what he's like.

DITO, we have a connemara at the farm, its Alannas which she does jumping on, great ponys,

some vid of polly when she first came, {just starting her schooling, she was not broken when we got her.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...emixz152-1.flv
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...uremixz144.flv

polly, Im sure shes 14.3hh? so shes a decent enough size

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I used to own a Welsh Cob section D, amazing horse, she stood only 14.2hh, but had the heart of Shire she was bomb proof and took everything in her stride She could be a bit mare-ish at times, and when she was in season was everything they say about Chestnut mares as well

A friend also had a Section D, but he was lighter boned and stood 15.2hh, he was a bit more skittish and not quite as brainey, but that was probably just him

Unfortunately when my marriage broke down I had to sell her well it was either that or sell the kids

Here's a couple of pics when she was younger, I don't have any of her when she was fully grown

Two weeks old with her mum Taffy

At 1 year old
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »