Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Likewise. That would be a lot of water to take out even for heavily stocked tanks, especially each week.

I personally do a 25% water change every 2 weeks on my 60 litre which for the number of fish I have in it, is perfectly adequate. The filter I use is a bit better than the one in the Elite though, which helps.
I do a 25% change every fortnight too.....but I never keep my tanks stocke to the limit always pretty much way under....what most people keep....but suits me.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
i would get the rummy noses up to a shoal of 6 and then i wouldn't add much more to that size of tank

a colourful centrpiece such as dwarf gourami could be added if you increased your water changes to 50% per week

what dechlorinator do you use
I use aquasafe.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post

I like Discus a friend had one who ate from his hand never kept them myself not a big enough tank.

What do you think you will go back to when you get up and running again?
prob back to discus
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
I do a 25% change every fortnight too.....but I never keep my tanks stocke to the limit always pretty much way under....what most people keep....but suits me.
sorry guys, nonsense....take it from a discus keeper more is better....just measure the nitrates.....
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
I use aquasafe.
try seachem prime

5ml treats 200 litres, whereas i think 5ml aquasafe treats about 40 litres, so although prime costs more per bottle it lasts much longer

also prime does this

removes chlorine, chloramine, detoxifies heavy metals, detoxifies nitrites, adds slime coat

you'll find the experienced keepers add prime straight to the tank, i.e. about 2ml for your tank then add water (at right temp) straight from tap

longer term, after you've got the bug and have lots of tanks you may want to consider a 3 stage HMA - cheaper in the long run and better for this fish (you take the bad stuff out, not add a chemical in)
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 09:55 PM
sorry guys, nonsense....take it from a discus keeper more is better....just measure the nitrates.....
Nonsense in your opinion only.

Maybe it is different for Discus, given that they are more of a specialized type of fish than what the average person has.

If I did a 50% water change every week on the tank I have my Elephant fish in, there would be a very high chance of me killing them off. They like old water, so changing 100% of the water every 2 weeks would be highly detrimental to them.

Pretty much all fish keeping/aquarium books recommend a 25% water change every 1-2 weeks, depending obviously on factors such as tank size, number and type of fish, etc. Also, given that is what I have recommended to the many customers I've dealt with other years, I haven't had many (any actually!) complaints thus so far.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 10:44 PM
But too much of a change too quick can be detrimental to the fish, culture shock. Smaller water changes more often won't allow a build up in nitrates
ATD x
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 10:49 PM

you'll find the experienced keepers add prime straight to the tank, i.e. about 2ml for your tank then add water (at right temp) straight from tap

)
how do you get water straight from the tap at the correct temp u was always taught never use water from the hot tap
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2010, 01:04 AM
In your opinion.....but small regular changes have worked for its worked for me for the last 20+ years...so to each their own eh!

And anyhow any waterkeeper who cares for their fish would not have high levels of anything in their setups anyhow.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-04-2010, 11:46 AM
We (I mean Hannah) got her tropical fish tank last week.

It's all set up and running but no fish as yet.

I'm quite looking forward to it so will no doubt have a million questions to ask soon.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >