Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Conjunctivitis ?

In the last week Gypsy has had a lot of 'sleep' at the corner of her eyes , its almost constant , you wipe it away and next minute its back ... im assuming its conjunctivitis
She has an appointment at the vets for saturday morning , but apart from bathing her eyes with warm water is there anything else I can do before then ?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi

Is there redness? I used warm salty water - a different pad for each eye so as not to cross-contaminate. I'd try to flush the eyes if she has been running in fields in case there are seeds and things in them.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi Rozlyn Conjunctivitis as you no doubt already know is an inflammation of the surface membrane of the eye and can have a number of cause from allergy to infection, when the vet examines the eyes he may be able to tell you the cause of the problem in this instance and you may need antibiotics if there is an infection .

Until you can get to the vets you could try bathing the eyes with a mild saline solution (a teaspoon of salt to a pint of boiled water). Saline is a similar composition to tears and slightly antiseptic so it will help to keep the eyes clean. It is important when bathing the eyes to use a fresh wipe for each eye to prevent cross contamination, or try trickling the water into the eye with a dropper or small jug .
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 07:13 AM
you could also try a used teabag and dab the eye we were advised by our vet to try that and it helped.
smileyfaces=]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 09:31 PM
conjuctivitis is inflammation of the eye, and if its not red then i wouldnt think it is. in the past, when my angel joe scratched the membrane of his eye, he produces a lot of excess sleep until the vet prescribed some cream. this might be the case, as that doesnt sound very much like conjunctivitis!
i dont know what to do if it is that, cause i have had it, but the dogs havent!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2009, 06:34 AM
How's things now, hon?