Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 05:15 PM

conjunctivitis???

I have noticed a discharge from Tala's eye and it is quite red. Is this conjunctivitis and is it contagious and do I need to go to the vet or is there something I can buy?
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 05:19 PM
You should really go to vet if not sure, if it is conjunctivitis it is catching but only by touch i think.

I have used Brolene on eye cream (from boots or pharmacy) on my horses when they have runny eyes and works straight away so you could try that?!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Conjunctivitis is normally a greenish/yellow discharge. You can bathe with cool boiled water. Use a new piece of cotton wool for each eye to avoid cross-contamination.

I think though if it was me I would get it checked due to the unusual colour. Eache time Fudge has had it they have done a stained eye wash to check for scratches on the eye before prescribed drops for an infection.I think this might be worth doing.

I have just re-read your post. Is it the discharge that is red or the eye? Either way I would get it checked I think as discharge can be caused by irritation as well as infectipn.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks Cass. I googled it and found that (in people anyway) antibiotics are no longer recommended and that it will mostly clear in a week.
I suppose that means no dog club this week and we were due to sit our bronze on Wednesday.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Conjunctivitis is normally a greenish/yellow discharge. You can bathe with cool boiled water. Use a new piece of cotton wool for each eye to avoid cross-contamination.

I think though if it was me I would get it checked due to the unusual colour. Eache time Fudge has had it they have done a stained eye wash to check for scratches on the eye before prescribed drops for an infection.I think this might be worth doing.

I have just re-read your post. Is it the discharge that is red or the eye? Either way I would get it checked I think as discharge can be caused by irritation as well as infectipn.
It is the white of the eye that is red and the discharge is just sort of gunky. It's not a clear discharge. Just one eye with a discharge but both are a bit red.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 05:26 PM
I have always been given eye drops/cream to clear it up with Fudge.I would think if you are doing an exam with her you could take her in and keep her separate from the other dogs? the cream eases things very quickly from memory.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the help.
Yes I had better take her to the vet. Hopefully if the trainer agrees we will be able to do the test.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi, my dog kobe had conjunctivitis and the vet said to use a used tea bag and dab is eye and clean the weepy stuff away with a tea bag, this does sound crazy but it did work.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Loki has had this and I took him to the vets after saline didn't help much. They checked him for glaucoma, they did a tear test and they stained the eyes to check for any eye damage. They also checked for foreign bodies.

They decided it was conjunctivitis and we were prescribed topical antibiotics for the eye. These didn't help much and we were prescribed steroids, which did help. However, steroids can't be used if there is an ulcer on the eye so this is why they do the staining.
littlelab
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Tea is fantastic for minor eye infections, you can either use the teabags (one for each eye) or make a cup of tea (no milk) and use cotton wool to bathe the eyes 3 x per day.

The tanins in the tea inhibit Bacterial and Viral infections, and tea contains alkoloids which reduces inflammation

Conjuntivitis is the collective name for infections of the conjunctiva.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >