Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
It's your call, of course. I guess it depends on whether you meet and fall in love with one of the pups

Are you being asked to actually buy the pup? Because frankly if yes, then again, I think the money would be better spent being donated to a rescue.

If you buy the pup, you are effectively rewarding your friend's friend for getting a dog via a free ad.
I can see what you mean. If she asks for money, I might say that I would rather give a cheque to the Dogs Trust (the place I was intending on going), after all, the pups havent really cost her that much so far......
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
If you have the time to devote to a puppy, I would agree with Rune. The pups will all be looking for homes if they end up in rescue (admittedly they will find homes quicker than the older dogs) so you are still giving a home to a dog rather than adding your name to a breeders list and having a pup bred for you so to speak.

No, you will have no guarantees regarding their health, but that also applies to some of the older dogs in rescue centres.
I do have the time, which is the bestest thing! I actually have a whole week off (not this week, but next week) and most shifts I work are 4 hours..... as the bf does bar work, hes usually in the house when I am not, and if noone is in the house, I have already befriended a dog walker that will walk my dog for a whole hour for £10. She might do different rates for pups though! She does do 'visits' too.... so will have to email her again about those. Obviously a pup isnt meant to go out for a fortnight until they have had their injections.... and wont have the stamina for an hours walk anyways!

Oh dear, I am already looking at puppy classes!
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-05-2011, 06:08 PM
No guilt needed - you're saving the shelter the expense of a pup. These ARE 'rescue' pups, or your one is 'pre rescue'!

When the pups are dumped on the shelter THEY won't be giving the owner any of her expenses back so why should you?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 06:15 PM
All dogs need good loving homes at some stage intheir life, even those bred by breeders. Sometimes things "were meant to be" so if you want a pup, see no reason why you shouldn't go for one of tbese pups

Even pups from health tested parents can have health issues.

Only thing i would say is - take out insurance
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 06:16 PM
If you want one of the pups then get one of the pups. I don't see why you should feel guilty about it to be honest. I personally would go for the pup if it were a breed or mix I liked and had the time to devote to raising one.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't feel guilty paying for it either. If it is what you want then go for it.

rune
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Oh lordy!! Am off to go and see pup now! Was a litter of 4, pups are already 8 weeks old....... Will report back when I get back! Argh!!
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2011, 06:29 PM
.Foregone conclusion... me thinks
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 06:32 PM
What are you still doing online, get going (if you take a camera, Dogsey can help you make up your mind - if you still need persuading that is)
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by brophy View Post
.Foregone conclusion... me thinks
My thoughts exactly
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >