Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-02-2010, 09:15 AM

Can this ever be stopped?

A jobless man who left his two pet dogs to suffer in his Walsall home to such an “extensive degree” that they had open sores and infections has been banned for life from keeping animals.

Stan Bates, aged 40, of Forrester Street, Pleck, had originally denied five counts of causing unnecessary suffering to animals. But he pleaded guilty to two of the charges of failing to get his dogs veterinary treatment at the eleventh hour, with the other three being dismissed by Walsall Magistrates Court yesterday.

The court heard how Bates was responsible for a rottweiler named Lady and a Staffordshire bull terrier called Bella.

Both dogs were found to be suffering from severe cases of mange and when Bates, along with Jackie Hurst, 47, and daughter, Katie Hurst, 20, belatedly took them to a vet, they were reported to the RSPCA.

Mr Nick Sutton, prosecuting, told the court Bates’ daughter and partner had already been convicted of ill-treating five puppies, whose health problems he said had likely been caught from Bates’ two dogs.

He said the two dogs were found to have infections around their eyes and bad cases of worms.

Naj Ali, defending, said Bates was working at the time of the offences and had paid £175 of vets bills but he is now unemployed and seeking work.

Bates was banned from keeping animals for life and cannot appeal for 10 years. He was also ordered to pay £350 costs and carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.

thaken from the express and star http://www.expressandstar.com/2010/0...t-dogs-suffer/

this isnt a thread to say how evil dude is, i am just thinkin what were your suggestions be to prevent things like this from keep happening in the future?
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I don't think you can. People will always be cruel look at the way some treat their own children never mind their pets.
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:29 AM
I don't think you can. People will always be cruel look at the way some treat their own children never mind their pets.
I think that just about sums it up.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-02-2010, 09:34 AM
ok let me rephrase not stopped al together but can anything be put in place to stop ppl like this having dogs in the first place? will licensed breeders help? dog licenses? manadory chipping and proper enforcement? I really think something has to be changed but im not sure what would help.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:47 AM
really its so indepth as it starts with education and goes on to responsible ownership/breeding/homechecking, and vet care.

The problem I see hear is that they were already caught for having ill puppies, so why were the other dogs not removed then ? before they got to the state they were in,

There are dogs in these conditions all over the country that never see a vet and then just disappear.

It wont stop unless the penalty gets harsher too - £350 costs ??? really thats pathetic - he probably gets to pay that up over years too, and who is really going to stop him from getting another animal? a private rehome or breeder wont be checking to see if he has criminal convictions will they ??

How often will he be checked up on?

It makes me sick, the laws are pathetic, the punishments too..
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:57 AM
I am not sure when he became jobless why he couldn't go to the PDSA...or maybe I have missed something.

The law in itself needs to be changed IMO, courts or at least the Judge is the one who gives out the penalty and as long as people are just getting a fine or a ban things will always go on ....again IMO

Stiffer sentences in the Law would perhaps help with a decline of cruelty as long as people see themselves getting off it gives a message to others thst this is ok to do these things
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Some people just don't have the same standards as everyone else what some see as cruel and unaceptable. Other people see as normal.
No amount of dog licences or checking up will prevent it.
After all look at people that should have the car insured and taxed that don't and merrily get away with it.

I don't think you could say who and who can't look after a dog.
What about people that live on the streets with pets I am sure many see that the pet is well fed and looked after.

I am sure there are plenty or well off people feeding their dog to a early grave by over feeding and not walking their pets. They don't see it as being cruel but it all adds up to neglect.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 10:58 AM
i dont know tbh... it says at the time this happened, he had a job so there is no excuse not to take them to the vets then.

i think they should make a start by trying to properly educate people...
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Some people can't be educated in such matters. Harsh to say but I have met so many who think it is ok to mistreat dogs and other animals. Very sad.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I also agree if you can't afford to look after yourself, how can you afford to look after an animal, but as has been said how would this be monitored and controlled....?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >