Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Those who ruin it for others

Blimey have I had an interesting and eventful walk today! (Other incident will be posted seperately!)

OH went to play golf so i armed myself with my camera and the dog and went for a walk along the canal.

Got up to the canal and started walking along and thought to myself "why are there random bright pink patches sprayed along the towpath?" Monty dropped me a little gift which i picked up and deposited in the next available poo bin.

At the bin was a huge sign saying that the canal rangers were on "poo patrol" and that all poos that weren't picked up were being sprayed pink and would be left for two weeks to then be cleared away to make the point of just how much poo gets left behind.

I walked on bearing this in mind and suddenly realised that I couldn't walk more than about 3 metres without seeing a bright pink splodge and felt quite saddened by the fact that people are so irresponsible.

My gut feeling was that most of them were there from the snow and that people seem to have this notion that when the ground is snow-covered they can just bury the poo and when the snow melts it will miraculously disappear which is one of my biggest pet hates.

It really annoys me that people cannot take the time to pick up after their dogs as it's stuff like this that ruins it for everyone else. If it doesn't improve then I can bet my life they will ban dogs from the canal and we'll lose yet another nice place to walk.
em_er_li
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I completely agree!

When I was walking my pooch the other day with my friend, I had the good fortune of having to get my poo bag out. And my friend, in a very sneering voice, said 'eutgh, how can you do that?! it's so gross!'

I replied with 'I'm more grossed out wih stepping in some unknown dogs poo than picking up my own dogs.'

It's not like it's your bare hand! I's inside a bag for God's sake, and I even put a small alcohol gel thing in my pocket for afterwards!

Grrr, she made me so angry
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Crickey, that does sound a big problem in your area

Mind you I was walking through a park area a couple of weeks ago and a young woman in front of me didn't pick up, though she had clearly seen her dog do it. I went and picked it up and then hurried after her (no mean feat as most of the park was sheet ice) and when I was close enough called 'excuse me I think this is yours' She turned round and i handed the bag to her.

She clearly was not used to picking up as she held the arm carrying the poo bag out as far from her body as possible all the way to the nearest bin
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 05:26 PM
We get an 'outbreak' of dog poo every now & then along my street, which bothers me & the other responsible dog owners locally, as we always think people will assume it's us!

So last time I got some coloured chalks, went out after dark and drew a chalk circle round each one.... more than 10 in a hundred yard stretch.

Unfortunately the rain washed them off a day later but at least the mums & kids one their way to school that morning were more able to avoid the mess.

I'd use pink spray paint but am minded of the chap who did this then got landed with a huge clean-up bill from his council as he'd used the wrong kind of paint!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 05:29 PM
What a good idea! Anything that wakes up the people who ignore their dog's poo.
I hope it worked and made some of them think.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 06:04 PM
completely agree, the amount of poo on our streets and pathways at moment is disgusting, and I agree about the snow as it was absolutely disgusting how many people left their poo on the snow, sometimes right in the middle of the pavement And of course when all the snow melted it left soggy poo on the pavement for my buggy wheels and others feet to stomp in.

absolutely gross and it angers me how many people dont pick it up
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 06:08 PM
It was all done in green down here
Anything to make people aware.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I think it's a great idea, wish they'd do it here tbh.

I still find it quite staggering that people don't feel more embarrassed about leaving a poo on a pavement than picking it up. What's even more amazing it when they leave it when it's right outside our village primary school, and I mean right outside where all the kids walk in and out!
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Wish they would do that here, i've trodden in poo twice this week........once when i was picking up my own dogs poo, then again when i was putting poo in the poo bin it was right in front of it lazy people it makes me so angry

Jann
xx
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-01-2010, 07:53 PM
There is loads of dog poo on my regular walk - I wonder if peple have given up trying to find it in the dark, or in the snow as it has got worse in the last few months.

I hate it when people don't pick up of the grass, but I think it's worse when they don't off pavements. When a dog is off-lead you have more of an excuse if you can't find it (not Ruby's, it's visible and smellable for miles!) but when your dog is on a pavement on a lead, how can you miss it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >