View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Leaving dogs in kennels for first time HELP I'M SCARED!

Ok so i'm going on holiday this year, for just a week and usually my dad looks after the animals or my brother or sister. This year my sister is in college, my brother in uni and my dad is too poorly with his back to walk the 4 of them, so they will need to go in kennels.

I have never put them in kennels before and aside from getting them jabbed (which I am already cringing about), I just feel so sick about leaving them and thinking of cancelling the whole thing. But I REALLY need a break, I haven't been on a proper holiday since Myles was a baby and I have NEVER been away without Myles (which is what will be happening).

Am I totally over reacting? My family think I am but they are not like us and don't seem to understand. I know a very good kennels and it has a good rep from people I have spoken to but it still scares me.

And also prices, I have no idea but is £200 (just over) a good price for my 4 for a week? (one very small 3 medium/large). The could share, I don't know how many are allowed to share? I would feel sooooo much better if I knew they were sharing and not on their own.

Anyway sorry for rambling but it's worrying me now and it's not 'til September but it will soon creep in I know!

Any advice welcome. x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't leave a very small with anything large in a situation which they might find stressfull, however wonderful they are accidents can and do happen. If the kennels are happy to do it I would be wary of how much they know about dogs!

Sorry to put a possible damper on it.

rune
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I wouldn't leave a very small with anything large in a situation which they might find stressfull, however wonderful they are accidents can and do happen. If the kennels are happy to do it I would be wary of how much they know about dogs!

Sorry to put a possible damper on it.

rune
Even if they are used to being together at home all the time? I do realise your point though. By large, the biggest is a weimaraner bitch, the small is a mini dachs. x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Oh, Kel, I know how you feel, but having done it once, I'm much happier now.

The woman who runs the kennels had such a way with dogs that they walked away with her without a backward glance at me. sounds daft, but that made me feel so happy. Yes, they were mega happy to see me when i got back (and it was only 4 nights) but they looked happy and healthy.

Of the kennels I know, none have kennels large enough for 4 dogs so you may have to pair them up. But then maybe they will have a pair of kennels that can be joined up?

The very worst part is leaving them...then wondering about them the whole time they are away. But getting them back and seeing that they are happy and healthy does make it easier for next time.x
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Even if they are used to being together at home all the time? I do realise your point though. By large, the biggest is a weimaraner bitch, the small is a mini dachs. x
What dog is the next size up so to speak? I use to work at some kennels and everything really depends on the dogs themselves, and you'll probally find that you are a mess, and the dogs just take it in their stride and have a good time.

If it were me I would try to put them in kennels with two in each one, and maybe get them put in opposite kennels so that they can see each other, this has happened with four GSD's and others were I worked, and it was fine.

Also what dogs are more close to each other, as we use to have a Shih Tzu and a Golden retriever who use to share with no problems (from the same family) again it has more to do with the dogs temperment, as we have had dogs from the same family but simalar sizes having problems, while ones with a big size difference haven't had any problems.

At the end of the day you know your dogs, and its up to you which way you go, as to who shares with who, and also depending on the kennels set up you could ask for them to be put into paddocks and walked together too, as where I worked we would do this for owners if it was possible for the workers to do so, we had three weimaraner males who had never been put on a lead, and it took three people to walk them, as otherwise one person couldn't do it, and two struggled lol.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 08:47 PM
I would avoid leaving the mini with your others, even if they live together totally fine at home, its just not worth the risk when the dogs may be stressed/excited and clumsy if anythin in that environment.
If your not happy with the mini being on her own could she not stay with your dad? as i imagine she is alot easier to look after than the large dogs.

I would go and visit the kennels and talk to the owner first, then you get to see whether the option of all 3/4 being together is possible.
Where i used to work we had 2 giant kennels that could each take 4 mastiffs comfortably(and did regularly) it totally depends on the kennels, but i would say that most kennels accomodate 2 large dogs, so if they do have to be paired up, maybe then it would be possible for the mini to stay with one of your others?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Oh, Kel, I know how you feel, but having done it once, I'm much happier now.

The woman who runs the kennels had such a way with dogs that they walked away with her without a backward glance at me. sounds daft, but that made me feel so happy. Yes, they were mega happy to see me when i got back (and it was only 4 nights) but they looked happy and healthy.

Of the kennels I know, none have kennels large enough for 4 dogs so you may have to pair them up. But then maybe they will have a pair of kennels that can be joined up?

The very worst part is leaving them...then wondering about them the whole time they are away. But getting them back and seeing that they are happy and healthy does make it easier for next time.x
Thanks Fiona, I did think pairing them would be the norm, in which case i'd have Charlie and Dusty together the 2 girls, i'd not feel comfortable with any of them on their own, they are not used to it, they all sleep together at home. One kennel I looked at said they have large 'family' kennels but it's not the one I really want to go with so just wondered really.

Dragging the b/f round the kennels next week to check them out properly, to think that before he met me he'd stroked less dogs than he has fingers.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Just a thought Kel, but Dusty doesn't really 'do' walks, or rather she never seems that fussed?

Could she go and stay with your Dad and then the other 3 should be able to share a kennel?

(edited as realised I'd put 2 instead of 3)
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
What dog is the next size up so to speak? I use to work at some kennels and everything really depends on the dogs themselves, and you'll probally find that you are a mess, and the dogs just take it in their stride and have a good time.

If it were me I would try to put them in kennels with two in each one, and maybe get them put in opposite kennels so that they can see each other, this has happened with four GSD's and others were I worked, and it was fine.

Also what dogs are more close to each other, as we use to have a Shih Tzu and a Golden retriever who use to share with no problems (from the same family) again it has more to do with the dogs temperment, as we have had dogs from the same family but simalar sizes having problems, while ones with a big size difference haven't had any problems.

At the end of the day you know your dogs, and its up to you which way you go, as to who shares with who, and also depending on the kennels set up you could ask for them to be put into paddocks and walked together too, as where I worked we would do this for owners if it was possible for the workers to do so, we had three weimaraner males who had never been put on a lead, and it took three people to walk them, as otherwise one person couldn't do it, and two struggled lol.
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
I would avoid leaving the mini with your others, even if they live together totally fine at home, its just not worth the risk when the dogs may be stressed/excited and clumsy if anythin in that environment.
If your not happy with the mini being on her own could she not stay with your dad? as i imagine she is alot easier to look after than the large dogs.

I would go and visit the kennels and talk to the owner first, then you get to see whether the option of all 3/4 being together is possible.
Where i used to work we had 2 giant kennels that could each take 4 mastiffs comfortably(and did regularly) it totally depends on the kennels, but i would say that most kennels accomodate 2 large dogs, so if they do have to be paired up, maybe then it would be possible for the mini to stay with one of your others?
Thank you, the next size up is Charlie, he is collie/springer and is very gentle and passive. I have no problem putting them in pairs. Dusty couldn't stay with my dad as he has Bear, who will actually be castrated by then but I can't bank on what he will be like (he is very 'humpy' and it would be difficult for them to be constantly seperated and not fair on my dad to have to cope with that for a week.)
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Just a thought Kel, but Dusty doesn't really 'do' walks, or rather she never seems that fussed?

Could she go and stay with your Dad and then the other 3 should be able to share a kennel?

(edited as realised I'd put 2 instead of 3)
LOL Fiona, must have crossposted! It has crossed my mind but like I just said, I really don't know how Bear would be with her as he has only spent short periods of time with her in the house (a couple hours here and there) and even then it's been constant humping and I can't expect my dad to have to deal with that for a week. My mum is taking Myles away for a week in the caravan at the same time so she can't have her either. She is very easy to look after but i'm out of options!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »