View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Sounds like it all happened in and instant. Do you think she would have obeyed the whistle command to stop, given the chance or was there a gap long enough for her to react between whistle and shock?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post
I'm sorry, I have no idea what "dominance theory" means, would you be so kind as to define it for me?
Takes many forms, but the context in which I used it which may well have led to subsequent comments and beliefs of others is in respect of, simply, emulating what happens within the pack in training.

The 'purists' (for want of a better word) go whole hog with the alpha roll, not letting the dog take a higher position, eating before the dog etc.

The posts I commented on (and I'm going from memory here) at first suggested to me that you didn't buy into it and yet in other posts you got 'lost' in what happens within a litter and how dogs behave with each other.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
When speaking to US people they do all use the word "burn" in the same way so this is the first time I've heard it referring to an extended shock.

Why would that word be used?

Very sad that people choose to use extended shocks (or indeed, any shocks) on dogs anyway.

And yes, especially for sport

There isn't even the excuse that is usually given, which is to save a dog's life.

Wys
x
I don't understand your first sentence, did you mean to say they do not all use it the same way?

I have no idea of the origin of the term, I'm old, but not that old.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
If these collars don't hurt the dogs and aren't 'cruel' why is it the owners who use them don't want to dog to know it is the owner inflicting it on them? Reading some of this drivel you'd be forgiven for thinking the dogs enjoyed the experience.

See my (several) posts that explain what the shock should be associated with.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by promarc View Post
she still hasnt answered my 2 questions yet, to which i say it proves her wrong totally. and it isnt some tit bit someone claiming to be a trainer either, many of the worlds leading experts say the same, but hang on someone we dont know and uses bad training methods must be right yeah.
All it "proves" is that I haven't gotten around to it yet, I only have ten fingers and one keyboard. Glad to know you are so anxious to hear my reply!
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post
I'm sorry, I have no idea what "dominance theory" means, would you be so kind as to define it for me?
Oh dear. I think we have all been wound up enough.

Firstlight, do some research on modern training techniques.
Karen Pryor is a good place to start.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I didn't really want to get mixed up in this because it was quite obvious it was going to go the way of all e-collar threads.

As Malka says it is doubtful that you will ever win because the majority of us are so against these collars and certainly against cruelty.
As she also said this isn't a discussion about training methods but about e-collars
Win? Didn't know this was a contest.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:32 AM
I find it eminently interesting that people choose to use electric collars in order to get their dogs to obey them purely for a sport and pot hunting; for nothing more than their own ego.

Yet those dogs on whom people rely to save lives etc eg:

Dogs which detect mines, explosives, firearms, drugs
Dogs which find bodies under avalanches or earthquakes
Dogs which detect cancer
Dogs which can alert their owners to an impending seizure, drop in blood sugar etc
Dogs which are used to assist the blind, deaf and physically handicapped
Dogs which are used to apprehend criminals

etc etc etc

can all be trained to do this (eminently much more difficult tasks) with just a clicker and some food.

Puts it all into perspective for me.

As Suzanne Clothier says,

Where knowledge ends, violence begins.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
But Malka has every right to post, Firstlight - this may be your thread, as in you started it, but this invites comments and they are not all going to be what you wish for.

No-one can agree on proper use, though. ........ some swear by using full high level shock, some swear the correct way is using pos. punishment and negative reinforcement... to my knowledge, there IS no actual "proper way" to use it.

And any way is unpleasant for the dog and shows a lack of empathy with dogs.

I must admit, I don't actually see any sign at all of you wishing to learn about other methods, you seem to only be interested in talking about yours, to be fair. Maybe I am wrong. I have spoken to some shock collar users who were open minded but IME mostly shock collar users are not really into learning new things, esp. those who start posting early about their methods.

I cannot imagine choosing to hurt a dog on purpose especially for sport.

Perhaps you can defend this and explain why you think is it OK to use the shock collar for this purpose?

Wys
Anyone is invited to post anything and as many times as they wish to, never said otherwise. I just have no time to respond to repetitive posts.

If no one can even agree to using the collar, why would you be surprised at the disagreement re: how to use them??

Have you read my responses to folks who actually wanted to educate me and have a dialog? I am "talking about mine" in response to people who have actual questions about the use of the collar.

No defense necessary, and I think I have given a pretty good explanation of why I use the collar for this purpose in response to actual questions; which in case you haven't noticed, have been pretty scarce. If you have questions regarding my explanation, please ask them.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Got to agree with all of this, i will readily admit i am against them, i think there are far better ways to train a dog, but i base my views on what i've seen with my own eyes, not what anyone wants to tell me, i honestly can't see why any dog lover would find it morally or ethically sound to inflict pain on another being to bend them to your will, and lets face it you're talking to win competitions, why because it puts $'s on your pups?
Lizzy, it is my guess that, like some other posters, what you have seen, is the result of the collar in the hands on an ignoramus. And the $ comment is just plain silly, I was winning and selling pups before they were on the ground for years before I used a collar.
Page 21 of 36 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 > Last »