Our sister sites
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Belfast 2008

Oh God, your all thinking lets get this year out of the way first please

BUT.....

Looking at going over for the Belfast show next year with a couple of friends in a van. So anyone that's done it could they give me any useful information.
I'm looking at going over from Hollyhead to Dunleary is it?
Now what I wanted to know is. Is the show benched. Can anyone remember if you can enter dogs NFC at this show.
We are looking at camping, however we may bottle it due to the weather, so any contacts for places to stay over there who will allow dogs or camp sites near the showground would be helpful.

Thanks
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi

I live in Belfast so should be able to help with accommodation queries etc.

You would be travelling Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire From there it's about a 2 hour drive to Belfast.

I believe the show is benched but could email the show secretary to check that along with NFC entry. The email address is: belfastdss@hotmail.com

Ok accommodation....These are the closest campsites, as far as I know:
Jordanstown Lough Shore Park
Shore Road, Newtownabbey, Antrim, BT37 0PY
Tel: 028 9034 0000
E-mail: info@newtownabbey.gov.uk

Six Mile Water Caravan Park
Lough Road
Antrim
BT41 4DG
T: 028 9446 4963
E: sixmilewater@antrim.gov.uk

DUNDONALD TOURING CARAVAN PARK (This one is closest to Belfast, about 15 min drive from Balmoral Showgrounds but not sure how dog friendly it is)
111 Old Dundonald Road, Belfast, BT16 1XT
Tel: 028 9080 9100
E-mail: sales@castlereagh.gov.uk
Web: www.theicebowl.com

I'll ask around about dog friendly B&Bs and get back to you.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 06:56 PM
It is a KC show - in fact the only UK general champ show in Northern Ireland - so yes it is benched, the benching areas are often miles from the shed (hall) you are showing in
I used to camp, there is a good site at Hillsborough (I'll look out the details later) great country walks, and a couple further south towards the Mourne mountains ... again I'll have to look it up.
If you are landing in Dun Laoghaire, (pronounced "Dun Leery") be aware that you are in the Republic there so you will need some Euro's for the bridge at Drogheda and anything you want to buy like fuel (which is cheaper in the Republic by a considerable amount) or sweeties ... no passports needed though!
As far as I remember you can't enter NFC, which is why I had to miss it this year, but best to check. Belfast show society have their own website www.belfastdss.org.uk
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys. That's really helpful. Just putting plans together. If I can't NFC then I'll just enter the dogs and not put them in LOL.
Anymore info would be great regarding somewhere to stay with the dogs. I've been over before without them and we went to Silent Valley is it, so if dogs are allowed I want to take them over there.

Thanks for the website Deccy. The link doesn't seem to work or perhaps they disable it to update it. I'll keep trying though
I'm going with a friend who shows her Dally so hopefully you'll be entered or going and can say hello.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm going with a friend who shows her Dally
Yes I'm def going, all being well, would you PM your friend's name? (save any awkwardness on forum) I am bound to know her!
I'll look out those details of where I stayed before, and post later. I won't be camping now as I have had to sell the van so I will be driving up and back same day, but it's only just over 2 hours from here and no ferry!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Well it's not looking great. The return for the van is over £400 with Stena line. Going Stranraer to Belfast is the only option as it's nearly half the cost. Will keep looking though. Probably other ferry companies to have a look at. I've been told that some give you a discount if you mention your going to the dog show.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Stena will give a discount for the Belfast show but they are usually the most expensive anyway. Have you tried the freight lines? No frills but much cheaper.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Someone on another forum has recommended this site for accommodation: http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/belfast.html

The ferries can be really expensive. Hope you manage to find a good price.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
Stena will give a discount for the Belfast show but they are usually the most expensive anyway. Have you tried the freight lines? No frills but much cheaper.
Thanks
Yes I need to do more homework. Someone said Irish Ferries do a discount. Someone else mentioned about the Freight ones as well. So will bend some ears at LKA.
Hopefully we can all meet up at the show or a walk somewhere
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola View Post
Someone on another forum has recommended this site for accommodation: http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/belfast.html

The ferries can be really expensive. Hope you manage to find a good price.
Thanks for the link