Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2006, 08:50 PM

Lifting rats?

Hi I am doing an assignment for college and part of it is to describe the best way to lift a rat from its cage.
I have never owned a rat before, so was wondering what is the best way to lift it out of its cage?
Do you just let it get used to your hand and scoop it up in cupped hands?
I know you should never lift them by their tails.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Send Zoundz a PM - she is a breeder and an expert and will give you superb advice

Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Send Zoundz a PM - she is a breeder and an expert and will give you superb advice

was just gona say the same thing ...she would be the best person to ask
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 10:45 PM
hiya! I was pointed to this thread! the best way is to scoop them up in two hands - this is why it's a good idea to have a large cage with good access - and large doors. Ideally you could pick them up from above scooping them up.

If the rats are a little nervous, leave a door on the side of the cage open, and wait for them to come to you.

I know my rats well, and am very confident with them - I now have no problem with reaching in with one hand and grabbing the rats around their middles. this is comfortable for the rats, and takes them a very short amount of time to realise that they are safe with you

hope that's of some help?

xx
Animal
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
hiya! I was pointed to this thread! the best way is to scoop them up in two hands - this is why it's a good idea to have a large cage with good access - and large doors. Ideally you could pick them up from above scooping them up.

If the rats are a little nervous, leave a door on the side of the cage open, and wait for them to come to you.

I know my rats well, and am very confident with them - I now have no problem with reaching in with one hand and grabbing the rats around their middles. this is comfortable for the rats, and takes them a very short amount of time to realise that they are safe with you

hope that's of some help?

xx
Damn beat me to it lol! But put it better than I could have

Basically, everything Zounds said is the best advice, what she doesn't know about Ratties isn't worth knowing
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 12:55 AM
awww! I feel loved! I do like to think I have a vague idea of ratties - but I am by no means an expert - however if I can't answer your question, I know all sorts of wonderful people who can!

xx
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks zoundz, thats basically what I wrote for my assignment
I handed it in on Jan 2!! So guess what I spent my New Years eve doing!!
Thanks again, Jo
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm sorry I posted a reply so late - as to have not been any help

I notice you're in Ireland - are you interested in rats as pets then? thought I'd ask as I am the founder member of the Irish Rat Club Perhaps you could splash our name about when referring to rats in future assignments/talks etc

xx