Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
margaret oliver
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Enlarged Heart

HI my name is Margaret and I have a german shepard dog who I had at the vets 2 weeks ago and i was told he had an enlarged heart. HE has had 11 bad turns in the 2 weeks, he is on medication for this big problem, tryimg to stop him from getting excited that is a big problem as he puts more stress on his heart ,I asked the vet if there was anything I could give him to calm him down,but he said no becase of the state of his heart,can anybody think of something I can try to keep him from over stressing himself I hope somebody out there could surgest something. Thankyou

Margaret
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 02:54 PM
What about a DAP diffuser.
It's like an air freshener thing that you plug in and it emits Dog Appeasing Pheramones (sp) that naturally calm the dog down. Just a thought
Barney Bear
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2007, 03:02 PM
So sorry to hear of your problem Have you thought about DAP - dog appeasing pheramone. We were recommended it to help calm our puppy when travelling in the car - you spray it in areas or on bedding to help calm a dog.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
So sorry to hear of your problem Have you thought about DAP - dog appeasing pheramone. We were recommended it to help calm our puppy when travelling in the car - you spray it in areas or on bedding to help calm a dog.
Great minds think alike
margaret oliver
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2007, 03:06 PM
HI Nippy,
Could you please tell me where I can buy aDAP Diffuser as I will try anything to help him Thankyou very much
Margaret
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by margaret oliver View Post
HI Nippy,
Could you please tell me where I can buy aDAP Diffuser as I will try anything to help him Thankyou very much
Margaret
Hi Margaret and welcome to Dogsey If you do a Google search for DAP diffuser you will find many stockists, some vets sell them too.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

10-05-2007, 03:45 PM
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/pets-and-ani...fuser/1016836/

Hello Margaret - welcome to Dogsey. The above site gives info on the DAP.

I do hope you find something to keep your dog stressless.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by margaret oliver View Post
i was told he had an enlarged heart. HE has had 11 bad turns in the 2 weeks, he is on medication for this big problem, tryimg to stop him from getting excited that is a big problem as he puts more stress on his heart ,I asked the vet if there was anything I could give him to calm him down,but he said no becase of the state of his heart,can anybody think of something I can try to keep him from over stressing himself I hope somebody out there could surgest something. Thankyou
Margaret
continued....
Margaret I am sorry to hear about the heart condition, I guess as your dog has recently been diagnosed you are still feeling a little shocked and are not yet used to the idea.

My dog also has a bad heart (but a different condition to the one your dog has) I take the view that a dog should have as normal a life as possible, we really can't wrap them in cotton wool. I hope my dog dies walking through the fields rather than having to be put down when things get too bad.

There are a few sensible precautions you can take:
..don't walk your dog when it is very hot weather, on these occasions walk in the early morning and evening,
..it is best to take short frequent walks rather than long ones and always take water with you,
..never leave your dog in the car if it is even the slightest bit warm,
..always try to keep calm yourself if any situation is stressful to your dog , any apprehension you feel will be transfered to you dog and will make it more fearful,
..avoid stairs/steep hills.
If your dog is getting very excited it is best to ignore it, no word/ no eye contact, you may find using some of the Turid Rugaas calming signals will help too..('On Talking Terms with Dogs' by Turid Rugaas from Amazon.co.uk).

THE CALMING SIGNALS
1. Turning of the head
This can be swift, turning the head to the side and back, or held to the side. This is a sign the dog is not comfortable. Examples of this are often seen:
His head may turn if you stoop over him
If another dog approaches him to fast
If she finds a camera being pointed in her direction scary.

You can use the turning of your head to communicate to a dog that seems scared and starts to growl or bark at you Sometimes its not the head, but the eyes only from side to side and look away to avert a direct stare. Your dog may use it if you stare at him or approach front to front.

2. Turning away
Turning the side or back to someone is very calming. When dogs play and that game gets wild some of them will start turning their side or back, just to calm the game down a little. Your dog may use it if another dog acts threateningly, or growls at him.

You can use it when a dog shows signs of nervousness or aggressiveness to you. If he jumps at you, turn away and most times he will stop. If your approaching a strange dog and you see the dog getting nervous, turn your back and more often than not the dog will come to you.

3. Licking Noses.
A quick movement of the tongue, so quick it is often missed. Your dog may use it, along with other signals when approaching another dog, if you the owner bends over the dog, holds him tight, grabs him or talks to him angrily.

It is one signal we as humans can not use, we are not quick enough!

4. Yawning
The most intriguing of the signals, at least people seem to enjoy using it. Your dog may yawn when you visit the Vets, when you fight or quarrel in the family, when you hold your dog to tight, when a child comes up to hug him, and many other situations. You can use it when your dog feels uncertain, a little scared, stressed, worried or when you want him to calm down a bit.
The veterinary medications produced for heart conditions are wonderful nowadays . Try not to worry too much, when you get more used to having a dog with a bad heart you will become a little more relaxed about it..
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

10-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Many dogs have an enlarged heart, my Welsh Springer did , he was a rescue and I got him when he was 5yrs old and the Vet found he had an enlarged heart. He was on medication for the rest of his life - all five and a half years of it !!!!!! and only put to sleep because his cruciate ligaments went in both his back legs and he couldn't walk. Be positive, modern drugs work wonders.

You can also get a valerian compound for calming dogs. See www.dorwest.com Kath
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 12:03 PM
hi amd welcome to dogsey i do hope you find some thing that helps your dog
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >