Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 02:11 PM

Food measurements and recommended amounts for Puppies

Woody has Hill's Nature's Best, 3x a day.

We've been feeding him as per the guidelines on the bag from day one, but now it's starting to get a bit tricky so I need some advice please (or should I ask vet?).

He was last weighed a week ago at 13 weeks, and is 8.9kgs. The bag guidelines say:

2-3 months, 5kgs = 185g
'' ,10kgs = 315g

and

4-9 months, 5kgs = 155g
'' , 10kgs = 260g

So what the hell should we be feeding him? Also, how many grammes do we need to take off for treats etc? At the moment we're just using common sense but he's exercising alot more now (and training less) and I think he looks skinny.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2008, 02:34 PM
The figures seem different on their website but at 13 weeks he is still 3 months he wont be four months until he is 16 weeks or more. The website says under 4 months and 9kgs is 285 grms or am I looking at the wrong product at his age and if he's not looking fat and assuming you are feeding healthy treats I wouldn't worry too much about deducting from his dried food. Just keep an eye on his waistline and remember they are only guidelines all dogs differ with the amount of energy expended.

http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/min...bmLocale=en_GB
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 02:53 PM
That's totally different and holy ****, I'm under feeding him by 100g!!

OMG, I feel so bad.

OK, will increase from today and keep an eye on it. Poor lil' guy. He never complains though ;o)

How do I measure the amount out BTW? what do you alll use?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Oh you cruel mummy I did that with Ben for about 2 weeks, I got all my Kg mixed up.
I use my kitchen scales
Elaine xx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I would weigh it initially so that you know what x amount of grams looks like and then I tend to use a scoop for ease.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 04:16 PM
You make it sound so obvious! Am I thick or what ;o)

Don't answer that.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Ok - my phiosophy....

Dog looks fat - you are feeding too much

Dog looks thin -you are not feeding enough!

This is not an exact science, dogs have different metabolisms just like people so go with what you dog looks best on.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Ok - my phiosophy....

Dog looks fat - you are feeding too much

Dog looks thin -you are not feeding enough!

This is not an exact science, dogs have different metabolisms just like people so go with what you dog looks best on.
That's wot I was gonna say! If he's skinny then, yes you're underfeeding him, and if he starts to cry after he's been fed he's prob still hungry. Just go with your instincts. My breeders said to never weigh out food. It depends on the individual dog and the amount of activity he gets as to how much grub he should have. Stop beating yourself up! I'm sure you're not starving him
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I used to weigh mine down to the last gram and worry about it.... Max would never eat all of his, and Murphy would happily eat enough for 2 or 3 dogs.

Don't get too hung up on it, maybe weigh out roughly what he is supposed to get per meal, then find a scoop (or plastic cup/tub) that holds roughly that amount and use that.

I have a big scoop now, and a 15kg sack in the utility room... they get half a scoop for each meal...
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Roger that people, thank you!

Good news. I filled the usual plastic cup that we use (|Royal Canine one that we got with our vet welcome pack) and that we were assuming was 185g and it's 250g, so we're only 25g a day off and that's surely all his treats etc! Hoorah, I AM a good Mummy ;o)
More than I can say for the poor people using RC dog food and going by the cup measurements!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >