View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 07:41 PM
They're not going to do anything drastic dougie, they can't!!! These are not dangerous dogs, there's too many of the good ones around to confirm that, BUT, I do feel if this hype carries on and people start rioting about it or anything stupid like that, they might get them muzzled in public or something? That's what I meant by saying about their downfall!

I met a woman a few weeks ago with a lovely rottie out on our walk, and because it had a muzzle on, I quickly put mine on their leads thinking the dog might be aggressive towards other dogs( well, that's my first thought with ANY dog on a lead quite honestly!) as I didn't want mine antagonising it by running over to it or anything. However, I stopped to chat to this woman and I asked her if he didn't like other dogs, to which she replied "oh nooooo, it's nothing like that, but I have to have him on a muzzle when we go out, otherwise I would be breaking the law"! Now, I never knew about this, so I actually put up a thread as soon as I got home to ask if this was true, and apparently it's not, thank goodness!

I didn't mean what you think I meant in my original post, I was just typing quickly, fingers working before brain!!!!
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi,
These stories are close to my heart as i have 3 rotties & children & i do feel for the parents but still feel questions need to be answered rather than laying all the blame at the dogs.
This incident was front page of my local paper tonight & yet again all rotties are bing labelled as dangerous. (the wording in their comments were aggressive & volatile & should be muzzled at all times)
Im actually wary of walking mine now incase of backlash yet why should my dogs be punished & made to stay indoors which by not taking them out is what i will be doing.
My dogs have never even looked at a child wrong but the looks i get now is unreal,let alone the snide comments!

Im so glad DEFRA has issued that statement now & hopefully media rags like the sun will stop hyping everything up

sarah
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2006, 08:04 PM
I think its an utter joke-singling out one breed for a few incidents
Known plenty of the 'Apposul's of Satan' (heard that somewhere today!) aka Rotties in my lifetime, and the demonic staffords, EBT's, dobes etc etc (dog racism it is!) and all have been the best i've ever known-only ever been bitten by a Lab, a Collie, and a japanese chin (if my memory serves me correct).
As Steve said, the headline wouldn't quite read the same if it was a little lapdog or the traditional family pet!
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 08:55 PM
There are probably loads of unreported dog biting incidents each day but the media are only playing on this because of the baby that died at the weekend.

But the media aren't there to provide balanced viewpoints unless it's in their best interests to do so. Most media is about sensationalism and what they deem to be human interest. Sadly there are people who for the most part are not in a position to know any better and believe everything they read/hear - we live in a passive society - and that's why the media get away with it.

All we can do is continue to be responsible dog owners...

Of course - I bet more people receive injuries from cats than they do dogs (wonder if there's a statistic for that)
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
wtf is going on
i think we can kiss goodbye to the wonderful rottie, very very upsetting, stupid owners
NO - we don't kiss goodbye - we fight for their survival, BETTER owners and better training.

i find this whole news stuff about these rotties very upsetting. please don't blame the dogs.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 10:38 PM
phew Helena54 thanks for puting my mind at rest my dogs would hate being muzzled they dont have the right shaped face for them :smt104 cuts in under the eyes on the dogs i have seen with them, also mastiffs and bull breads its cruel to have a dog on one all the time unless there is a good reason.
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2006, 11:41 PM
The BBBC is reporting a third rottie attack on a child - here - and they've even managed to get the dog and owner on camera. Funnily enough the incident happened almost two weeks ago but only deemed newsworthy today. I hope the Beeb are proud of themselves.

Vent over!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 01:38 AM
had a looky see at the link and the attack happened over a week ago, also the mother waited 2 day before reporting it to the police. WELL DONE BBC KEEP LOOKING AND YOU COULD POSSIBLY DIG SOME UP FROM LAST YEAR
sorry rant over
muttsrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2006, 04:45 AM
my rottie was put to sleep a little while ago and i miss him terribly he had a brain tumour, now on the better front i have started a search for another puppy, have found a breeder i really like and she has a bitch in pup so hopefully i should have another black and tan racing around in the near future.
so sorry to all the children and parents involved in all the incidents, but i for one have not been put off having another rottie, we are going to call her HOPE, and of course she will be brought up the same way as my boy i had, she will be taught manners, and how to help my disabled husband , she will come to obedience, flyball,agility, and most of all she will be loved.
carolann
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-09-2006, 07:20 AM
I think it is getting out of hand too.The Grandmother must of known this dog was capable of attack sounds like it was used more as a guard dog than a pet,having seen the sign on the gate on the news.
I agree with others why was it tethered wouldn't it of been kinder to of put it in the house so it could sleep peacefully,sounds like another irresponsible owner to me.I would never leave my two Grandchildren unattended with Ollie because he is teething and nips and boy do those nips hurt sometimes and when he is grown and outgrown his nipping stage I still would not leave them on their own together.
I was savaged by my Aunts and Uncles dog when I was two in a room full of people with it on a lead,it nearly removed my top lip,and guess what it wasn't a Rottie,Staffie or any type of Bull Breed it was a Westie.
That had been spoilt rotten and attacked me because I was eating a biscuit and it felt it was entitled to it as my Uncle use to feed him from his mouth. My Mum always had a thjing against Westies and would advise anyone not to buy one,I on the other hand take a totally different outlook and say it is the way they are brought up and would not victimise Westies because of what happened to me.In fact I know a couple and they are lovely little characters.
I also know some Rotties and they are lovely characters too,I feel sorry for responsible Rottie owners at this time.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >