Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 05:52 PM

Help please for tick removal?

I have lost the thread where somebody wanted help in removing a tick yesterday. I now have one on my dog's ear. I have smothered it in vasalene - is this correct? Do I wait for it to drop off, or wait for it to die and then get it out with tweezers please? Help! Thanks, only I always used Frontline so never had them before now.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Do you have a tweezer (or wots its called)???

You have to turn it clock wise and anti (?) clockwise a few times and it should let go...

I have a tickremover thingy.. I think I've seen someone say they can be bought at vets... We can buy them at petshops.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Nail varnish remover is best to kill them off, then using tweezers, twist anti-clockwise, and he-presto.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks bellaluna I do have some tweezers. There was a thread on here yesterday about this but I can't find it anywhere now!

I will have a go now with my tweezers! Thanks
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks Housedog. I will get all that Vasalene off now then and get the nail varnish remover out! Thanks
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Knock on wood, salt over shoulder.. and all that.. Luna hasnt had a tick (or fleas) since I started feeding her garlic powder on her kibble every night. I will give her a it of Frontline, but after she's learned to swim, it wont really do any good.. So I'll just keep this garlic powder coming

Might be worth a try? Luna doesnt wanna eat fresh raw garlic, if she did, I would have fed a clove of garlic every day
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 06:06 PM
You guys are brilliant! Job done! Thank you soooo much, I killed him off with the nail varnish remover (or maybe the Vasalene) and then accosted him with the tweezers anti-clockwise, he came out without a fight - dead! Nice clean hole left, but his ear has quite a "lump" on it where he was feeding, is that normal?

I am getting that garlic out now. The grass is very long now where I take them out, so I will have to check them over when we get back each time I think. At least I know how to do it now though.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Yeah a lump is quite normal. It may disappear in time.. I think Luna's a gone.. We've had a single tick in our pre-garlic time
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Ticks freak me Apart from the fact that they are disgusting blood sucking creatures, my sister's MIL died from complications following a tick bite (picked up abroad, but even so........)
We get a lot from the deer around here - I'm very vigilant. Haven't had one yet (famous last words?)
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 06:38 PM
i think i found a tick on indies ear the other day, but it was much smaller than others ive seen and was orange. perhaps a wart??
anyway, assuming it was a tick i tried to pull it out with tweezers and it wouldnt budge, so pulled harder and the top came off, but there is still a lump underneath?
so now im wonderin, was it a tick and the head left inside? or was it sumin else?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >