Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 04:04 PM

TV Dog Trainers

I was watching a dog training programe last night on TV where owners present dog to trainers to learn how to train their dogs although most thought it was to cure a dog of a problem

Each owner was encouraged, if the dog pulled / stepped out of line, to "jerk" the dog back to make it walk to heel. Now surely in this day & age there is no call for what i would term controversal "yanking or jerking" on the lead. In some cases, smaller dogs were literally yanked off their feet - all this with approval - certainly none voiced an opinion, from the trainer

How can we condone such heavy handedness in the name of dog training. Folk watching this type of programme will see this as acceptable way to dog train.*

In the past chains were used to achieve /reinforce this method of training. Now chains are frowned on, it is really any better to still be using this method of to obtain heelwork on a collar?
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I completely agree, I think using this 'technique' to achieve heelwork is just as barbaric and harmful on a collar as it is on a chain.

I think the main issue is that a lot of people just do not think for themselves. They get told a way to fix a 'problem' and they just accept it without questioning. They do not give a seconds thought as to what it is they're actually doing, they just mindlessly do it because the person they have hired has told them to do it. The action of jerking a lead gets the reaction they want, it fixes the problem for them so it must be working
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Can you say what programme is was? I didn't realise any were on at the mo, apart from Victoria Stilwell

Wys
x
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 06:55 PM
I think with a lot of people, especialy if its thier first dog, when they had over thier dog to an expert and the expert does something then thats the way it should be done as far as they are concerned. I think its time some of the "experts" were sorted out.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2011, 12:12 AM
For young pups & small dogs or dogs with weak tracheas I do t recommend this kind of thing, but for a large breed dog it might be necessary esp if the dog outweighs the handler but even if they don't, it can still be dangerous.

Btw isn't it basically the same motion as turning & walking the other way, that jerks the dog as well doesn't it? Just sayin'.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 12:18 AM
[QUOTE=dogdragoness;2213961]For young pups & small dogs or dogs with weak tracheas I do t recommend this kind of thing, but for a large breed dog it might be necessary esp if the dog outweighs the handler but even if they don't, it can still be dangerous.

Btw isn't it basically the same motion as turning & walking the other way, that jerks the dog as well doesn't it? Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

If done correctly - you call dogs name as you turn - the dog will naturally turn also, you should not need to yank or jerk the lead
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
For young pups & small dogs or dogs with weak tracheas I do t recommend this kind of thing, but for a large breed dog it might be necessary esp if the dog outweighs the handler but even if they don't, it can still be dangerous.

Btw isn't it basically the same motion as turning & walking the other way, that jerks the dog as well doesn't it? Just sayin
'.
Yes the way lots of people do it it is - I remember on dog borstal how they showed how to get the right amount of lead slack so when you turned it basically gave an 'nice' big yank

Thats why I dont like that method - to open for abuse

I use a 2fold method - lots of treats and rewards for being in the place I want them - so they learn what I want
Standing totaly still when lead is tight - until they choose to slacken lead
makes sense for the dog, and is dead easy for any size of dog
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yes the way lots of people do it it is - I remember on dog borstal how they showed how to get the right amount of lead slack so when you turned it basically gave an 'nice' big yank

Thats why I dont like that method - to open for abuse

I use a 2fold method - lots of treats and rewards for being in the place I want them - so they learn what I want
Standing totaly still when lead is tight - until they choose to slacken lead
makes sense for the dog, and is dead easy for any size of dog
Yes this does work, it is also good for young dogs who grab hold of leads and pull the leads in a tug o war fashion when out walking
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2011, 06:56 AM
what show are you talking about?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
what show are you talking about?
A popular UK series that actually gets a lot of suppport although i have had reservations on one or two of the episodes - not how i would handle situation type of thing

Im actually waiting to get folks opinions before saying what series it was as i dont want a "for & against" the series situation which isnt what the thread is about. Its about owners being heavy handed yanking/jerking dogs back to heel.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >