View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Someone at agility class has just had their GSD put to sleep because of this. He was only 7.
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-05-2012, 07:45 PM
I've been in contact with the breeder and we're trying to get this figured out. No history.... Had a few dogs with organ failure I believe within 3 year time span.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:54 PM
I lost my great dane to bloat.

Kibble is dangerous for deep-chested dogs and should always be soaked.

If I had done that, my girl would not have suffered like she did.

I found her when I got home from work - managed to get her to the vet, but sadly, as this was the second episode, she was put to sleep.

I still miss her every day......
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Jpepper View Post
I never had a warning sign.... I checked all the symptoms and the only two that I could really find that apply to Roush are the two I stated... He never looked bloated. Never showed me anything other then his normal self.... Will the bloating go down after death? Could explain why he didn't look bloated when I got home.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Both of my breeds are at risk of bloat and my friend lost her foundation bitch to GDV when she was 11 - no warning and no reason. She just found her bloated and in a lot of pain one morning and she was too far gone despite rushing her straight to the vet. They opened her up and her stomach had died. It's one of my worst nightmares.

If he didn't look bloated, it could have been something other than GDV. I can't say for sure, but I don't think the swelling would have gone down in that time as the stomach twists on itself so the air can't escape. How did you find him?

I wonder if he had something like a heart attack? It can happen to young people totally out of the blue, so it could easily happen to young dogs too. I lost a dog to acute kidney failure before I could even phone the vet once it was apparent she was sick. She died within the space of about 15 minutes of looking ill.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Can I just dispel some myths about GD and GDV?

First of all the difference between them.

GD (Bloat) is when the dog blows up, and this is visible, if taken to the vet in time, the dog can be deflated and no further action may be needed.

GDV (Torsion) is when the stomach twists and cuts off the blood supply and the dog cannot either vomit or defecate.

You can have a bloat without a torsion and vice versa.

You can also have both.

It can occur in both small and large dogs however it is more common in deep chested breeds.

There is a familial element to it and many people will not breed or buy from breeding stock which has a history of it.

As well as a familial predisposition GD/GDV can be triggered by stress and at least an hour should be left between exercise and feeding.

GDV can occur with no overt symptoms, so knowing your dog inside out can be very useful.

If a torsion occurs immediate vet attention is required but even surgery may not help as dogs often die from shock, also many vets will do a gastropexy on the dog (stomach stapled to side of dog).

This will not prevent a bloat, but it WILL prevent a torsion.

Some people have elective gastropexys performed on their dog eg the American Military often do this.

The best place for information on GD/GDV is Purdue, which has some interesting info.

I am interested in this subject as I own two breeds predisposed to this and I have experienced 1 x GD and 2 x GDV
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-05-2012, 08:43 PM
I found him laying on his side.... He basically standing up straight but on the ground. When I lifted his tail blood/air came out. Other then that I could find no evidence.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 08:47 PM
There will be no outward evidence of a GDV, the only way to know for certain if your dog suffered a GDV is to conduct a PM
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I had my Leonberger PTS a month ago because of this condition.

Even after death the stomach is still bloated, even getting bigger for a while.
This was his second episode.

The first time there was no torsion BUT no gastropexy was done as there is NO evidence to say it prevents torsion, Dogs have still had torsion with this procedure.
There is no reason for me to think that its also hereditary as no other dog in his line have ever had this.

This time his colour was purple within 15 mins of it starting. We was at the vets within that time.
There was no choice or options this time.

I dont know whether there is and evidence to prove that this can happen at the same time on both occasions but this is what happened....8pm.

I'm still heart broken and I still struggle with him gone.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Minimally Invasive Gastropexy - a Preventative Procedure
Article Written by Dr. Daniel A. Degner, Board-certified Veterinary Surgeon (DACVS)

Key Points:

A procedure called a gastropexy can be done to tack the right side of the stomach to the right side of the body wall using minimally invasive surgery.

Benefits of the laparoscopic surgery:

Shorter surgery and anesthesia time
Less pain
Quicker recovery
Prevents life-threatening twist of stomach
Less expensive than treating life-threatening GDV
Patient can go home on the day of the procedure

Indications:

Gastric volvulus and dilation (GDV) or bloat is a common life-threatening condition that affects many large breeds of dogs; for information on GDV look at GDV web page. This condition involves distention of the stomach usually with gas and twisting of the stomach. Why wait until the life-threatening condition has occurred? A preventative minimally invasive procedure is now available for your pet. Breeds that are susceptible to GDV and should be considered for the preventative procedure

Great Danes
Irish Wolf Hounds
German Shepherds
Standard Poodles
Blood Hounds

Laparoscopic surgery

A procedure called a gastropexy can be done to tack the right side of the stomach to the right side of the body wall using minimally invasive surgery
A scope is inserted into the belly cavity
An instrument port is made on the front right side of the abdomen and the right side of the stomach is picked up with a laparoscopic instrument
The instrument port incision is enlarged to 1 1/2 inches and the stomach is sutured to the right body wall

Benefits of the laparoscopic surgery over open surgery

Shorter surgery and anesthesia time
Minimally invasive
Two small incisions therefore less scaring
Less pain
Quicker recovery
Prevents life-threatening twist of stomach
Less expensive than treating life-threatening GDV
Patient can go home on the day of the procedure

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/proph_gastropexy.htm
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
There will be no outward evidence of a GDV, the only way to know for certain if your dog suffered a GDV is to conduct a PM
There are plenty of outward signs, and these should be known by every dog owner as these could save a dogs life...

Trying to vomit but nothing other than foam being produced

Heavy panting-even though the dog has been resting.

Trying to hide.

Staggering.

The stomach area distended and taught and when flicked it sounds like a drum.

Eyes are also wide with a distressed look.

If the do lay down the front legs will be stretch out.

If a dog shows any of these symptoms, getting the dog to a vet quickly ( even if you have to be very abrupt) can save its life.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >