View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:42 PM
originally posted by Crazycockers: Anybody that says they don't feel it aren't being truthful, my vet used to make me hold the pup and hold the tail out straight, ask me where I wanted it cut, then just cut them off with scissors! Those poor pups would scream, then shiver and shake for ages afterwards, and because the pups were stress mum is too, the vet always insisted mum was locked out during the process which made matters ever worse......if you've had pups before you'll know what I mean, locking a mum away from her 2 day old babies!
This I believe says it all. It seems some say it doesn't hurt whilst thousands of vets say it does. I go with the trained professionals therefore I believe the vets know what they are talking about. The dogs suffer and that's why I personally feel so strongly against this.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by jake
This I believe says it all. It seems some say it doesn't hurt whilst thousands of vets say it does. I go with the trained professionals therefore I believe the vets who know what they are talking about. The dogs suffer and that's why I personally feel so strongly against this.
Yes but the other side of the coin is all the vets that will carry out the procedure and are happy to do so, and feel that it cause no harm to the dogs. Jake have you held a puppy in your hand while this has been done, i have and I am 100% sure that it did not suffer. I am the most soppy sentimental person when it comes to dogs and I really believe that when carried out by a professional at the correct time in a puppies life it is not a traumatic procedure. which is why I am definitely all for it being a matter of choice.You really must personally experience all sides of this before making a decision I think,but I appreciate that we are all entitled to our opinion
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:57 PM
I have never heard of a litter being docked like CC said! That kind of docking I don’t agree with!!! And I think docking like that is cruel! And if I was you CC I would have changed my vet!

You say that people who say it doesn’t hurt aren’t being truthful well maybe they are and they had their dogs done correctly (im not getting at you honestly)

When you do it correctly all that happens is the puppies have a small elastic type band put on their tail and this is done when they are two days old and the tail just drops off after a while. Their nerves aren’t developed enough at two days of age to feel anything like that.

I can’t believe anyone would dock a litter by cutting their tails off with scissors!! That is just cruelty!

Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Jake, I'm saying,that docking a puppy's tail at 48-72 hours old is NOTHING like amputating a babies finger. If your vet uncles say differently, I say, I do not agree.

Also Emma the TV vet is famously anti pure breed dog, docked or not.

I've said all I have to say on this subject, there are some really important animal welfare issues and docking 2-3 day old puppies is not one of them.

Wheaten mad, there are two CORRECT ways of docking, banding is one but cutting with scissors is another. If as you say, and I agree, that the nerves are not developed at 2 days, it would make no difference to the puppy which method was employed.

Crazycockers, my puppies never screamed, shivered or cried, neither was mum upset in the least.

Dawn R.
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey

Wheaten mad, there are two CORRECT ways of docking, banding is one but cutting with scissors is another. If as you say, and I agree, that the nerves are not developed at 2 days, it would make no difference to the puppy which method was employed.
Right thank dawn i had actualy never heard of that method. I dont think that banding is cruel at all. And as for the other one as i have never watched it being done i dont know.
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2005, 07:14 AM
The only thing i would like to say is, its up to the breeder, selene, beni and angel are all docked and i wouldnt have it any other way, for one not only is it kc standards it how the docked breeds were met to be.
and two if its done right it wouldnt hurt them and how can you compare it to a baby for one a baby does go through pain as a baby by having all the injections they need, would you stop a baby having injections cos it hurts them? no.
its a persons own choice and if it is done right then fair enough.
and yes these vets may say they dont do it but i bet if you went to see them they will do it cos its money.
selene *cocker* and leland *cavalier* have their dew claws removed and i am glad cos it stops them cutting there eyes open, beni my other cocker still has his dew claws and i wish he didnt cos he has nearly cut his eyes so many times.
as most of the people have said in this thread if you are against docking dont get the breeds that are meant to be docked.

right i'm off my soap box now come on its near xmas lets talk about more fun things, like what you want for xmas or what you have bought your dogs, cats or whatever pets you have?
sarah2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2005, 07:31 AM
The BSAVA Council is of the opinion that the docking of puppies' tails is an unnecessary mutilation and urges the RCVS to promote legislation leading to the outlawing of the procedure, unless the tail has previously been injured and the injury cannot be managed by any other means." (British small animal veterinary association)

The BVA has long been opposed to this mutilation, that over 90% of veterinary surgeons find abhorrent. We will continue to campaign vigorously to ensure that non-therapeutic docking, both cosmetic and prophylactic, is completely banned." (British Veterinary Association)

"We are opposed to the docking of tails because we view this as unnecessary mutilation." (RSPCA)

I am against this uneccessary barbaric act if it is done purely for cosmetic reasons as I believe most tail docking is.The majority of dogs are now kept as pets, not working animals, and there is very little likelihood of tails getting damaged. As for maintaining breed standards, this is simply the out-dated views of breeders and show judges who have become accustomed to the look of a certain breed and are unwilling to change their views. The Kennel Club plays a large part in perpetrating the custom and undocked dogs are unfairly discriminated against in the show ring.

I have never myself witnessed a tail docking nor do I ever wish too. Some of you may say I cannot have an opinion on the subject if I haven’t been present whilst a tail docking is taking place. Well I may not know what I’m talking about but the trained professionals and governing bodies quoted above jolly well do!

As Brundog said earlier dogs are born with a tail for a reason; there is nothing nicer than having a huge tail thumping against your legs. If your dog is working fair enough, otherwise to dock a tail for cosmetic reasons is downright cruel.How do you know it doesn't hurt them? The professionals and governing bodies with years of experience all say it does. Would you like it done to you? I wouldn't
sarah2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2005, 07:34 AM
iOriginally posted by ste.n.steph: f its done right it wouldnt hurt them and how can you compare it to a baby for one a baby does go through pain as a baby by having all the injections they need, would you stop a baby having injections cos it hurts them? no.
As a caring parent we choose to have/or not to have our babies injected to prevent them getting disease you can hardly compare the removal of a dogs tail to conform to breed standards the same!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-12-2005, 07:38 AM
If you type docking into the DW search facility you will find many posts both for and against.

Tail docking is banned in Australia. Prior to the ban most good, experienced breeders of traditionally docked breeds did the docking themselves. The reason is that veterinarians were never taught how to dock. They are taught how to amputate a tail, which is very different, as I know from experience. Docking by an experienced breeder, either with scissors or by banding, causes no stress/pain to the puppies. They are not exposed to handling by a stranger and the dams are not usually expelled from the room. No squeals, shrieks, howls of pain because the breeders know what they are doing. Removal of dew claws, which is neglected in the legislation, is usually rather painful for the pups whether done by vet or breeder.

The idea of docking may be repugnant to some but the facts have been muddied by myth and emotive comparisions (and possibly incompetent veterinarians) which do not stand up to scrutiny.

I do feel that breeders should have the choice whether or not to dock - in the same way that a puppy buyer has the choice whether or not to purchase a docked pup.
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2005, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by sarah2
As a caring parent we choose to have/or not to have our babies injected to prevent them getting disease you can hardly compare the removal of a dogs tail to conform to breed standards the same!
You can chose to let the baby have injections or not!
What i am trying to say is some people put kids through pain for all types of reasons, ear pinning cos their ears stick out etc......

like you said in your post its your own say and i am allowed to have my say too! if you dont want a docked breed dont get a docked breed, some people prefer them to a full tail and that is a persons own choose!
Page 3 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »