Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2007, 11:06 AM

Jacks first show

Hi,

Next sunday 26th Aug, we're taking Jack to his first agility show, we've only entered him in the jumping as he still isant that confident on the seesaw, and his contacts are a bit iffy. we got his running order back in the post and he's running second in his first class I know there are several people out there that do agility, is there any advice you can offer, you know protocol, do's and don'ts that sort of things, thank you
Christine
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

18-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi Christine Sorry I don't do agiiity so can't offer you any help but just wanted to wish you and Jack Good Luck and enjoy it and let us know how you get on.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Thank you, we're not expecting anything from him, we'll be pleased if he doesn't freeze or run out the ring, but we did do an exhibition a little while ago, and he was fine, but it was a club do, and he knew everyone and all the dogs, so fingers crossed.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Good Luck Jack!!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Haven't competed with Max yet and a very long time with my old Irish gal who just loved it.

Just have fun is my advice to you - go and enjoy it!

Good luck to you both!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Hopefully your club have been able to give you lots of practical advice on what to take, course walking, giving plenty of courteous space to the dogs you are queuing near, warming your dog up with a good touch massage [ your instructor should be able to show you how, and for the cool down after the run ], and all that side of it.
From me personally I would say :

* think of it as being in a display, not a competition, take the pressure off of yourself, you are there to have fun with your dog above all else

* when you have walked the course, stick with your plan, don`t change something just because someone else did it differently while you watched, their dog probably handles very differently and even if their way was `better` in hindsight you will probably confuse yourself if you are undecided while actually running

* No matter what happens during the run, always remember a dog can only do as much as they are guided to do, be it a wrong direction or cue timing not quite right, over or under mentally stimulated before going in the ring, whatever it may be, never blame your dog if things don`t go quite right

*Its your dogs first time in a competition atmosphere as well so as above, don`t be upset if things don`t go quite as you might hope

*If you don`t get a clear round, don`t get mad at yourself for not guiding your dog well enough - my motto for myself and my students is :

` Every error is a learning opportunity`

*If you see anyone being snotty with their dog in the ring because the handler has such a big ego that they can`t accept their own handling mistakes could possibly be why their dog went the wrong way, never forget how pathetic they look - make a point of telling yourself you never want to be seen as one of that saddo sort no matter what, most importantly not to be seen that way in your own dogs eyes !

Quite simply, when you enter that ring, your primary aim should be to enjoy it so you can leave the ring happy and smiling because you and your dog have had fun doing something together.

If you go clear or get a place, that should be considered as a lovely bonus but never the sole aim - the highest achievement as far as I`m concerned is not trophies but the sheer pleasure of taking part in an activity for you and your dog for the fun to be had with your lifes companion, nothing else matters more than that
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Just have fun.