Knowsley Safari Park kills animals

Just read this and was horrified!!!

**** Warning pictures of dead animals in the article ****

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...t-by-bins.html
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:25 PM
most zoos do kill their surplus animals when they cant ship them off to other zoo's or if they need to make room for new 'exhibits'! its criminal!
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:28 PM
On another note. If they must kill them. Why are they not being fed to the big cats instead of leaving them to rot.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:31 PM
It was the rare deer that irked me as well, how can they justifiy killing an animal whos numbers are so small??

Oh that and the fact none of them have been trained how to do it!!

One.Eyed.Dog you raise a very good point would have been less of a waste that way and been enrichement for the big cats.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Not sure I'd take a Sun article as absolute truth though.
Here's the Safari's side of the story http://www.knowsleysafariexperience....ws.asp?rid=135

From a business POV I'm sure they'd find it financially better to feed the bodies to the big cats etc. if they could but there may well be regulations on this - for example, they may have used antibiotics or some other medication/treatment on these animals and this may prevent the body from being suitable as food, like chickens, cattle, etc. for the food industry can't be given antibiotics?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:38 PM
I daren't look at the stories.

But surplus animals???! That's some bad organising in a flippin zoo?!!! Sack the guy at the top!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:42 PM
If they have surplus animals, then they should not be breeding more of that same species. Most of those animals (except Pere David Deer) are common, not threatened and should not IMO be taking up space in Zoos anyway.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Grim...

Deaths for whatever reason in large collections of animals are ineviable sometimes, but surely dumping the bodies of the animals in a skip is not the appropriate way to dispose of them?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If they have surplus animals, then they should not be breeding more of that same species. Most of those animals (except Pere David Deer) are common, not threatened and should not IMO be taking up space in Zoos anyway.
If it is a safari park I'm guessing most of the animals are roaming 'free'? I wouldn't have thought they would be breeding the more common species on purpose.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:53 PM
'Not sure I'd take a Sun article as absolute truth though.'

True i read the sun when bored at work more for a giggle then anything and take everything with a pinch of salt. The photos of rotting bodies tell there own stories though really . . .

Have to agree that if they dont have the room then they shouldnt be allowing the animals to breed in the first place. A lot of the images showed young animals which are deaths that could have been avoided with good management.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >