Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:23 PM

So Frustrated!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys,

Yet another stray has followed us home today. This time it's a lovely german shepherd bitch. (The girls have now named her Pixie.)

When we first bumped into her we were on a busy road. Herself and my two (onlead) had a to-do; but she insisted on following us out to the local nature walk/park. Of course on the way she was ducking and diving between cars, and I was getting loads of dirty looks from the drivers that presumed she was mine.

I rang the police and explained what was happening, that and the fact that she was jumping up on other children she met, growling as she did so. (To me it was more playfulness than badness, but knocking kids to the ground ain't on!!)

Dog of course followed us the whole way home and came inside. (She amde friends with our two once they got to the park and got offlead.) Our visiting Guide Dog was not amused at the unexpected guest.

I rang dog warden, but no out of hours contact number and tomorrow is a bank holiday.....
Police said they can't help........
Local rescue hasn't returned my call and I know they are all ready full.

Dog has a collar with a dog license tag, which means the dog warden could trace the owners, but that's no good to me right now!

So, dog is a live wire in the house and I don't trust it round the kids. I've hung onto it a few hours now and have had to decide to let it go again. It's hanging around outside since. And nipped one of my kids on the leg when she was out riding her bike and knocked her over.

A neighbour on the street had a go at my older girl telling her to get that dog in off the street. My daughter tried to explain to her that it wasn't our dog, it followed us home; but no, seems we are to blame now for every kid in the street being locked in or risking getting chased down by this dog.

What can I do? I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to find strays help. The sheer number of irresponsible owners round here drives me to tears. It's a lovely dog, just young and with no discipline. How can people leave their dogs to wander like this.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Do you know a vet that would be happy to scan it for you?
You seem to be amassing strays at the minute Evie!
Other than that I'm not sure, do you know any vet nurses??? What about your local council offices??? Councillor??? Bet they'd get hold of a dog warden for you?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:29 PM
That's a dilema for you. How frustrating indeed. I don't suppose you have a garage that you could keep her in for tonight? I suppose you could just take her to the police station, they may take her in if you are there with her in person rather than just on the 'phone.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Noone wants to know on a bank holiday weekend.
I know a vets that I could call to, but I've no transport to get out to the vets to check for a microchip. Usually I'd ask my Dad, but he's just had surgery this week, so not fit to be driving me around.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:35 PM
could you call the vet and ask them? They may know of someone with a scanner that lives closer to you?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't want to ring them at this time of night and they are probably the closest to me. I called the police again and explained what happened with it nipping my youngest on the ankle. I explained that I didn't think it was doing it out of badness but am concerned that it might draw blood on the next kid it does it to.

They said they are going to try and get someone round to do something..... fingers crossed that they do.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2007, 07:53 AM
If you take the dog to the local police station they have to take it and will put it in one of their kennels. The dog warden or shelter will collect in the next day and try to trace the owner. I found a stray and took it to the police station and it was reunited with its owner afterwards.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:00 AM
I had hoped I might get a call from the police last night to say someone was looking for their dog. I took her in last night when the kids went to bed. I slept on the couch to keep an eye. I can't move and she's in round my feet crying, god love her.

My Dad is taking us round to to the dog pound this morning. I'm hoping to catch someone there to take her in. I can't hang on to her when the kids are up and about and Archie isn't keen on her.

Hopefully they will trace her owners.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Just been to the dog pound and am back home now.........

Along with "Pixie". Not a sign of life at the pound, all locked up. I'm tearing my hair out here. I can't leave the dog unattended to go get showered or anything. She's pacing and whining and I don't want to leave her unattended with either my kids or my dogs. Herself and Archie have had a couple of spats this morning.

Dad didn't have time to drive us out to the local rescue centre, half hour away, cos he was all ready late for work. So I left another message on their machine.

I keep trying the dog pound number but I know I've no chance on a Bank holiday. Tried ringing the vets to see if they know of anyone else or could help, but they don't and can't.

Bank hoilday weekend ruined, one kids with bruises on her leg, one very distressed dog (well two counting Archie) and noone to give a damn.

Dad suggested dropping her off on the road that we found her on, but what if she bites another child? I can't have that on my concions (I know that's not spelt right, but am to tired to care at this stage!)

leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2007, 09:21 AM
does your vet do an out of hours service? if so give them a ring they could put her in the back until you can get hold of the rescue.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >