Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2012, 07:54 AM

Bitch or dog?

Just wondering what people opinions are really.

Why did you choose the sex of your dog? Who do you find more loyal?

I'm in two minds what sex I want next! I'm pretty sure max with accept either sex but obviously I wouldn't know for sure!

Stella would be fine along as they left her alone but it's unlikely she be with me

When I got max I was unsure about having a dog but now having him I'm in two minds!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 08:17 AM
We had two bitches so Bruce was deliberate choice 'male' however we have another two bitches now making 4 bitches with 1 male.
Some say bitches are easier/loyal
but I find Bruce is exactly the same........
Only difference with Bruce he's more the 'guard dog'
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Hi, I work a dog and a bitch in wt and find both willing, loyal and attentive.
Both are WTCHs, so the only difference to me is seasons.

Dave
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 01:57 PM
I used to prefer bitches. When I was looking for a pup I wanted a girl but fate intervened and I got Gelert and I am a total boydog convert now. I think males have the edge for me but only just. I went for a bitch the second time around as it's probably the best pairing to have and I still wanted my girl.
My male can be wilful and when he was younger he was quite pushy, but he is so incredibly loving and loyal that more than makes up for it. He's hardly a one person dog, he loves all people but he loves his mum the most and I suppose that's good for the ego He just wants to be close to me.
Gracie girl is sweet and affectionate but more independent. As far as a GSD can be independent anyway lol. As long as her family are around her she's happy. She's not a cuddler like my boy.
As far as the relationship between the two goes, she is the boss bitch, no question. Gelert's quite happy to be bossed around by her
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 02:12 PM
I have had all permutations and find it`s the character of the dog that makes the difference, not the gender. I`ve had bossy males and gentle bitches and vice versa.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 02:59 PM
I prefer dogs over bitches. I prefer the masculine look of a good dog, the size, presence and the generally more laid back personality. I have had two bitches, but find they can be just that ... bitchy

However, my intention is, in future, to own just two dogs and will keep one dog, and one bitch for minimising the risk of any fights. I currently have one bitch and three dogs.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2012, 04:07 PM
I think a lot depends on the breed as well. When I had just Syd my male Dobermann the obvious choice for a second dog was a bitch as male Dobermanns are renowned for not getting along with other male Dobermanns. I got Rio a female Dobermann and my first ever bitch, Rio has all the attributes of a male in a female body and isn't even slightly bitchy, very even tempered and accepting, as is Syd to be fair. Milan another female Dobermann who can be bolshy is a rehome but they get along fine. Diesel my male staffie gets on with anyone and everyone and is the includer of the group. Frankie my male terrier came with aggression issues and likes his own space as a result of being bullied by the resident dog in his previous home but they all rub along. Then I've added two female pugs about a year apart and the group has split into two groups with the terrier and pugs in one group and the Dobermanns in the other group. My staffie flits between the two groups out and about he's part of the Dobermann gang and at home he's part of the Pug gang.
I always used to favour males but these days I'm happy with either.
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-11-2012, 05:35 PM
We have one of each, don't know if it's just ours but the dog seems to be closer to Gemma and the bitch to me. I've heard other people say this type of thing id the same in their household as well.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-11-2012, 07:44 PM
I had Bitches, when i was at home, with Mum and Dad..They were lovely, gorgeous, and Beautiful!!..
But the Dogs are just Perfect, as a GSD. They were everything you could ever want in a German Shepherd Dog.
My last Rescue will be a Dog, Too!!
There is just something , even More Special, about them Wanting to "be with you!!"
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2012, 08:48 PM
We had dogs at home but not at the same time as both were quite keen with other dogs.

The only exception was the larger Collie cross did allow the neighbours elderly Lassie collie to come around and he was the only dog that Sam was ever OK with. Whether it's cos he didn't perceive him as a threat cos he was alot older with bad hips and eyesight I don't know but old Max used to come round for his Milk and Biscuit everyday ..lol!..as my mum used to have him while they were both at work.

Inca is female and got her after I'd moved out of home. I did take her to dog training class from young age and my friend had her hearing dog by then 1yr older than her and visits us frequently throughout Inca's life.

However as she has always been the only dog I'm unwilling to risk getting a female puppy next incase of fights when she hit sexual maturity. Mainly as I'm worried I couldn't seperate them with now been full time wheelchair user and been on my own alot of the time...so think I'm probably safer going with a young male as Inca is less likely to be jealous of it. Dogs Trust advise different size, different age and different personality on their site.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >