Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2006, 06:22 PM

Bloody fireworks.

The idiots have started with the fireworks tonight so poor Jakey is now there staring into space and shaking when he heres one.

I will collect his pills from the vets tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas what to do to help him settle tonight.

The other 2 are lay eating theirs chews, poor jake has left his.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Poor Jake The fireworks haven't started around here yet.

Try turning up with t.v and closing the curtains etc.

{{{hugs}}} to Jake x
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Same round here too I have one staffy panting under the table another sat on my foot drooling down my leg and the other couldn't care less and is snoring in her bed.

When it gets really bad I put their crate up with a cover over it and they hide in there, other than that I just ignore them and just hope the idiots letting them off go away : .......... for want of a better word
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 07:05 PM
I know how you feel, I abor fireworks because they traumatise my girly so much - or did until I started giving her Valerian Compound which has completely changed things for her :smt001

[ Disclaimer : Its a herbal remedy and anyone thinking of trying it for their cats / dogs / horses etc, as always check with the vet first ]

Until you get the tabs from the vet, find some laundry to do as washing machines give white noise which can help [ to do with the pitch I believe ].

Whatever you do, dont try coddling or fussing your lad as it reinforces that the dog must be right to be afraid [ to them, why would mum or dad be trying to sooth them if it wasnt really scary ].

Difficult as it is, try to be as normal as usual, [ very difficult when your heart is breaking at your dog being so afraid ], turn up the TV or music volume, be silly, dance around and laugh, anything which Jake can see as you being fun, playful, and most of all, you being `unconcerned` at the bangs outside.

Dont try too hard at getting him to interact, its more for him to see you not being bothered, but if he does start perking up, play it by ear for how much or how little interaction will help so long as its not coddling or cuddles [ unless its play type cuddles ].

HTH
)))hugs(((
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 07:39 PM
weve had fireworks going of all week here my boys are not bothered by them but i do feel sorry for all the dogs that dont like them i say
BAN FIREWORKS
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Jake is fine now, we had an old friend call round who we had not seen for a while so he took jakeys mind off things.

I really feel for jake as he never used to be scared of them and is quite a quiet dog .
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Harley had a dreadful fright in the summer when a neighbour let off a firework just as my daughter came in through the door. He panicked and ran off and was missing all night and when he was found the next day he was in a right old state.

He was never frightened of them before this incident - it was a display firework that had loads of repeating bangs and made us humans jump as well.

I have had to stop taking him out for a walk in the evenings now as he is a big dog and I just wouldn't be able to hold onto him if a firework went off.

I think that fireworks should only be able to be used in the week that contains November 5th and New Year's Eve and should be banned for the rest of the year. I personally would prefer not to have them at all but I know that some people enjoy them but it would be much more manageable for those of us with dogs who are scared by them if we knew when they were going to be let off rather than it happening so often.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by bluemerle lover View Post
weve had fireworks going of all week here my boys are not bothered by them but i do feel sorry for all the dogs that dont like them i say
BAN FIREWORKS
Here here............. stupid things
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2006, 08:49 AM
We've had none here yet, but the DAP diffusers a' going and the tv is on in the evenings!
paulabgv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2006, 10:03 AM
We've had none here yet. Toby hates them and gets so stressed, JJ is ok and we'll have to see how Georgie is when they start.
On Toby i use rescue remedy but the thing is i don't think it actually works that much. I've tried DAPs but there was no change in him with them either.
I'd love to try a remedy that would really give him some relief, poor boy
I'd definatley support a total firework ban.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >