View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Well done to Polo for not reacting to the little dog Hope things continue to go well.

Good luck with Izzy's jacket - let us know how she gets on with it and whether it helps!

Sounds like Cain is doing fantastically - recalling through an alley of dogs is pretty impressive! And sounds like agility went really well too.

Glad Saba's recall went well after 6 long months Bet your both happy about that!

Glad the puppies are getting the hang of toilet training and learning some commands - they really are very sweet

Kestral has been doing quite well - some ups and downs but she has had no incidences of unprovoked barking (only when a bike almost hit her, a runner almost ploughed in to her and a man came too close while she was toileting - these barks were less intense and more of a worry bark than unprovoked charging and barking).

I have been using less treats and don't need the line much either now - she has started to look at me for her ball after passing people nicely now too!!

Also a bit of an unrelated brag - she had her boosters at the vets this evening (she did have a bit of a panic in the waiting room, kids, chavs, man in helmet = very scary!) Despite all this she didnt eat the vet and happily took some liver treats from him.
He said she was very fit and healthy, great weight, lots of muscle, and slow heart rate which apparently means shes very healthy. He was very surprised how good she looks - he must see a lot of fat unfit dogs but still was nice for me and Kestral to hear
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Well done, you must be chuffed!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Awww great stuff Kestral She does look in fab condition.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Well done all.

Great news that Saba is now off-lead again and has not lost her recall.

The little-uns sound like they are coming on well with house-training etc

And well done Kestral - you must be so proud of her.

Another good day with Polo today. We went for his group walk today. He greeted all the dogs sensibly but looked a little too interested in the cows. I kept a close eye on him and he recalled without me having to use my emergency-never-failed-yet-whistle that I try not to overuse

Then another walker joined us with a young flat-coated retriever. Polo was a little uptight with the newcomer but started to relax but then an oncoming walker with a small dog on lead was getting close and with Polo seeming slightly aroused I thought it best to leash him until they passed.

The only dog he was not happy about prancing around him whilst on-leash was the flatcoat and he took a small lunge but I told him enough and moved a little further out from the mob for him to relax. I then let him off again.

A lab x that has met Polo before joined us then and he decided Polo had attitude by the looks of things and ran at him with a growl. Polo briefly bristled at him but decided to not get into an argument and kept clear.

He is just handling so many different dogs and situations, I feel encouraged once again.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm soooo happy to hear that Polo is on the up again I knew he could do it. We all have set backs, but isn't it great when you can finally feel optimisitic once more?! Well done
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 03:15 PM
So I had a minor set back when walking out the house today Millie decided to bark these two dogs which she more then familiar with into oblivian, the owner of the two found her barking quite amusing hopping it's not going to turn into a problem 0.o

So I went to the park as normal we passed many dogs on the way and she never barked at any she was more excitted to see other dogs then anything ^^

I got to the pond and let her for the first time I improvised a toy by turning her lead into a throw toy and I must say she is very good she dissapeared behind some small hills a couple of times and into the long grasses but soon came back out again.

She even behaved when having her lead put back on ^___^

Normally I would not let her off but the area was secure enough this time we usually only go off lead when I have someone around with me as she has a bi of a butterfly mind :>
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Another nice walk with Whichpets and Kestral Cain was very well behaved (apart from being a bit pully on the lead). He enjoyed swimming and rolling in long grass. For the most part he trotted along next to Kestral, leaving her in piece. He quite likes Sophie and now "sits pretty" when she gets her bag of hot dogs out When he played in the lake he got quite frisky. He played bowed at Kestral, and she played bowed back. Unfortunately he then got carried away and pounced at her in a way that was too boisterous for her, she woofed at him once, and he backed straight off Very pleased with his self restrainant and apparent understanding of doggy language! A lot of people/children/dogs/horses/bikes etc out today, we managed to avoid most of them, although Sophie did do a cracking rugby tackle on a puppy refusing to recall to keep it away from Cain
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Izzy's jacket looks really good and means I can relax as I don't have to be on my guard watching in case anyone makes any unexpected moves towards her and she must feel more relaxed without this happening too.

Smiled today though as a man on the woods with a GSP and a JRT was asking me about her and I explained why she was wearing the coat and finished up by saying "well it should be quite obvious for people not to touch her now" and he agreed and then started patting her

She was fine though (she will just move away when off-leash if not happy) so that was good.

We met a really nice man the other day on the field near Norwich prison. Izzy ran up to him barking and this was unusual as he wasn't wearing fluorescent yellow. I think it was because he had a boomerang. We called her back and apologised and he said it was ok and Izzy and him could help each other as he was frightened of dogs after the family dog bit him as a child and she was frightened of men. Nice to meet such a gracious person. Jamie said we will have to keep her on a flexi-lead there in future though as we can't have her behaving like that to people.

We are off to a pet service tomorrow. Never been to one of these as not something my church tradition does but saw it advertised in the paper. Jamie said to take one dog only and thought I would play it safe and take Parker as I don't know if it is a lady vicar or a man and if the latter and he went to touch Izzy to bless her it would be a test of his Christian forbearance if she lunged and snapped at him I think!

I just hope there aren't any ferrets there though as Parker hates them!
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Great work from everyone. I so admire you all having to train your dogs to be polite to so many other walkers and dogs. We can go for months without meeting another walker or dog, so my two get completely giddy when we do.

Moon's Mum....you are going to have to change your signature if Cain carries on being such a star.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Nice to hear you had another nice walk with Polo Maisiesmum

KerryOwner - how frustrating that man read it then proceeded to touch! Hopefully it will help other people.

Cain was fantastic - he was very calm with Kestral and she was much more confident with him this time. He responded very impressively to her body language after getting a bit over excited and calmed straight down. Kestral was still confident with him afterwards so didnt bother her in the slightest unlike the first time when she was a bit unsure Hes always very well behaved when I see him and I seem to be making a friend (all be-it a sausage based one!) Hope agility went well today MoonsMum?

Kestral had a good walk too - despite all the people she was very confident. She did lots of good 'stops' when I spotted deer (which is about every 10 seconds at the moment ) Had another good walk today even though the park was packed. She was even brave enough to give a few people a sniff and was happy to stand around whilst I chatted to a man (and child!!) with a whippet collie x so is definitely getting braver She also met a few people in PAH a few days ago that she used to be scared of but seemed more relaxed and even went in for sniff so some positive developments at the moment.
Page 60 of 101 « First < 10 50 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 70 > Last »