Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
neffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2007, 07:37 AM

indy's leg

about a mth ago we took indy are rottie to the vets has i noticed that on his back leg on his elbow part it was very sore and weeping.
The vert had a look and put indy on some strong antibioctics she said that had quite a deep infection,it did look like that is was clearing up.I n the last couple of days it has opened up again and bleeding and weeping again,the problem being he not stop licking it.I am going to ring the vets today to see if i can get him in and see vet the thinks, i feel very worried about it has it looks very sore and bless him he is so easy going he would never uoi know that he is in some discomfort
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Perhaps your vet could bandage it to break the licking habit. Had a less severe but similar problem of an infected insect bite on a front leg & found the only way to get it right was to cover it to break the licking cycle.
neffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2007, 10:33 AM
that is what i am going to ask the vet we are taking him down for 12 thanks for your reply
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 10:52 AM
If you put Lavander oil around the area, NOT ON IT the smell will put him off licking at it, it worked with Inka when he had an op on his toe.
Hope he is ok Neffy.
neffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2007, 01:21 PM
just got back with indy the vets seems to think that it is healing ok,i did put savlone cream on it last night and it did dry it out.thank you all for your concerns
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 02:32 PM
At least it was good news Neffy, I know in America they use Lanacane to dry abrasions ect, maybe thornit powder would work too.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi Neffy have you considered using a Buster neck brace for those times when you can't watch Indi? it will stop him getting at the leg and is less cumbersome than an Elizabethan collar.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_g...d=26&pg_id=288

I would be reluctant to put any cream on the leg, doing so draws the dogs attention to it and encourage licking, I alway use saline to bathe wounds (a pint of boiled water to a tablespoon of salt) then leave them to dry up.

I hope Indi is better soon.
neffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2007, 08:38 PM
i can see what you are saying ,but the cream seems to dry it out,but thank you all for your replys
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Bless him im glad he is on the mend now neffy

sarah