Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 01:21 PM

Recommended harnesses?

I'm sure there used to be a review section

Recommendations for a stop pull harness would be greatly appreciated! I've decided that while Takara gets used to going places with lots of traffic, I should use a harness because we both get stressed when she pulls.

It'd also mean she can go more places with me because it won't take 4 times longer to get anywhere!

I'd like to try a harness as the canny really didn't work, she didn't like it on her nose.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 01:46 PM
I would go to a good local pet shop and try them out, there are so many available and its really down to preference.

Min xxxx
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Petstalk
I would go to a good local pet shop and try them out, there are so many available and its really down to preference.

Min xxxx
I second that

My local pet shop has helped me out so many times with new collars, coats etc just to be sure that they actually fit properly. Then once I know the size, I just order a backup one off the internet
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2006, 05:31 PM
I've got one which has worked brilliantly for me with both my dogs. I don't know the name of it because I bought it several years ago but I'll have a go at describing it. There's a fairly loose fitting collar which goes round the neck, but lower down - more like a yoke on a shire horse! This has two large D-rings at the back and two at the front. Then theres a v-shaped lead which passes through the d-rings at the back, goes under the dog's armpits and attaches to the d-rings at the front of the collar. Your normal lead attaches to the back of this section between the large d-rings. This way whenever the dog pulls it tightens the v-shaped section which lifts the front legs off the floor without putting any strain on the neck and stops them in their tracks. It works really well for me anyway and doesn't seem to aggravate the dog in any way.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey! I've been and got one! I got the one you describe Mindy - without actually seeing your post before hand! We went to PAH and asked if we could try them on. This one isn't a miracle worker and is only cheap but it works well enough and will do for what I want it for. She also looks really smart!
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by minda
I've got one which has worked brilliantly for me with both my dogs. I don't know the name of it because I bought it several years ago but I'll have a go at describing it. There's a fairly loose fitting collar which goes round the neck, but lower down - more like a yoke on a shire horse! This has two large D-rings at the back and two at the front. Then theres a v-shaped lead which passes through the d-rings at the back, goes under the dog's armpits and attaches to the d-rings at the front of the collar. Your normal lead attaches to the back of this section between the large d-rings. This way whenever the dog pulls it tightens the v-shaped section which lifts the front legs off the floor without putting any strain on the neck and stops them in their tracks. It works really well for me anyway and doesn't seem to aggravate the dog in any way.

It's an "Easy Walker" - hope that helps.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by novavizz
It's an "Easy Walker" - hope that helps.
Thank you! Much easier to describe in a pet-shop than my long, rambling description!

I think I'll get myself a new one soon. I've had mine for years and it's on its last legs.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 10:29 PM
I would try Pets @ Home and try some on & see which you like best I alway's do that with the coats try before you buy that's my motto
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 10:35 PM
I used the Easy Walker with Hollie a couple of years ago, was amazed at the difference! It taught her that walks do happen even if you dont pull! I used to do the turn back when she pulled but it didn't have much effect on her, she just thought I was daft! :smt042
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2006, 09:59 AM
I would find the one you liked in pet shop and then could have a shop around on internet for best price.

Min xxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >