Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 08:51 PM

Skye's really bad

Skye's been really strange for a while now. Since lead walk she's been alot better. The problem is starting to show in her back again.
A few years ago she had a fall and hurt her back causing soft tissue damage. Anyway after x-rays blood tests and physio she recovered.
Today she could hardly walk down the stair, she can't jump back into the house through the dog flat an it looks like she's given up on life. I felt down her spine and shes really flinching her muscles. I feel so helpless until the vets open on monday. I just don't know why its causing her problems again
Soft tissue is very difficult to heal, maybe shes always going to have a problem. She really does worry me to death she's not even 4 until November, but she acts like a 14 year old
If she's still as bad tomorrow i think i will have to send her in as an emergency!!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 09:00 PM
If there is a Pets At Home near you they have vets in-store now including on Sundays [ at normal weekday rates, not emergency costs if that helps ] and you can just walk in, no appointments necessary.
I do hope the poor lass feels better soon and can be sorted so gets comfortable mobility back. They know how do worry us don`t they
)))hugs(((
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks Patch!!! I really thought she was dying earlier
Silly i know but she's not right at all. I can see it in her eyes. She just sleeps. She used to run about, bossing everybody around, bark at anything. When theres a dog barking on the tv she barks!! She doesn't even do that.
I wish i knew how to help her She's a twinkle in my OH eyes, were all really concerned about her. I just hope it is just her back and nothing serious which is causing it.
God i love my dogs to death. If i could have the pain for her, i would.
I think i'd rather see my own vet as they know the history of her back. Its good PAH do have a vet if needed.
I miss her running around like a complete looney
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Awww I really hpoe she is ok
Thinking of you xxxx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Could you put heat on her back, it might give her a bit of relief?
I know what you mean if you could take away their pain you would.
Does your vet do out of hours? Is there any method you have been told about before which may help her now?
Other than that just keep her as comfy as poss, big custions etc for her to lie on.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Try acupuncture, worked wonders for one of my dogs who couldn't even climb up one stair!
Becky
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I have actually got a wheat bag. Thanks for that idea i might stick it in the microwave and see if it helps her. (obviously not being too warm)
Shes actually laying on one of the big fluffy beds, constantly. She looks peaceful now but i keep going up to her asking whether she's ok? Its not as if she's going to say 'No mum my back hurts'. I think by asking her its easing me. Love that dog to bits, she's taught me so much.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Try acupuncture, worked wonders for one of my dogs who couldn't even climb up one stair!
Becky
Yeah thanks i will ask the vet about it. I know they will put her on metocam!!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 09:30 PM
The poblem with heat is that it may be cold she needs. When I had inflamation of my spine I had to apply a frozen tea towel on my back to help it and it did work!
Becky
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Backs are a difficult problem to treat because of the nerves, muscle spams etc and it can take a long time.
I hurt my back a few years ago and had to take Co-codamol, diazapam & a anti-inflammatory drug for 6 weeks. I was zonked out most the time. I still get twinges now. Bloomin horses for yeah!!!!!
I'm not going to do anything with her apart from obvious rest until i have been told to do so by my vet.