View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
danjackson
New Member!
Male 

24-09-2008, 12:17 PM
So how would I go about training our dog to stop instantly like this using "Wait" or "Stop"?

He is quite good when on the local playing field, and won' wander too far without checking I am following.

But if there is a dog he doesn't know, I'd like to be able to shout/say something when he starts wandering to make him stop instantly.

Tips please! And I'll start training him tonight
Duracell
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-09-2008, 02:46 PM
We use 'down' with Ringo and 'wait' with Finn, so not to confuse either of them
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by danjackson View Post
So how would I go about training our dog to stop instantly like this using "Wait" or "Stop"?

He is quite good when on the local playing field, and won' wander too far without checking I am following.

But if there is a dog he doesn't know, I'd like to be able to shout/say something when he starts wandering to make him stop instantly.

Tips please! And I'll start training him tonight
I taught my boys on a very long line, initially in the garden. I use "Down" in an urgent voice and they both drop and stay until I walk to them. Progressed from there out on walks - still on lead, to eventually off lead. Great satisfaction when it all comes to fruition - good luck x
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2008, 10:50 PM
I use a gundog whistle for distance. One blast is 'STOP and SIT NOW' She is about 90% accurate on whistle and will remain stationary until given the recall whistle or a directional whistle.
xxJonnyCxx
New Member!
Male 

25-09-2008, 07:04 AM
I got my dog to sit when i ask it by, when mine was a puppy when ever she sat down by herself i said sit firmly and also when your playing with your dog stroke there back and VERY gently push down and when she touches the floor say sit.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5