View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Mine have all tried to raid the bin, were given a verbal reprimand at the time (perhaps a few times), and haven't touched it since.

My collie cross is now nearly 10 and you can literally leave a plate of food at his nose, go out for several hours and come back to an untouched plate of food.

The two cockers won't raid the bin now, but will totally scarf any food left lying about at the mo' (can't punish if not cauight in the act, eh!).

Anyway, I'm sure they are all mentally scarred from being shouted at as puppies!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:20 PM
I find simply not putting food items in the bin is enough. And washing out containers etc. Then there`s nothing rewarding for them to find.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Mine do sometimes, it doesnt happen often and when it does happen it is usually because the bin was full and should have gone out so my fault really. I think the main culprit is Sweebertja but this is because she had lived rough before she arrived here and although skin and bone at the time we think she only survived because she lived out of bins (she tends to sit and gard them ) when it does happen I just say something like "Err what is all this then" and pick it all up they know that its wrong and all sit there looking guilty, quite funny really, but after that it wont happen again for maybe 6 months.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I know of a number of dogs (belonging to family and friends) who have raided the kitchen bin. My bin is inside a cupboard but I have had one dog who would raid a bin if given the opportunity.

It is logical canine behaviour to me. I am sure if I was a dog, an opportunist scavenger and I smelt something delicious near my nose I would have a go at getting it. After all I have also known humans who couldn't resist an open box of chocolates which didn't belong to them

You can of course train a dog to 'leave' then teach 'leave' with a bin but for me the kindest option is not to put temptation and harm in the dogs way in the first place, to put it in simple terms, move or secure the bin
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Yep he's a chronic bin raider (so shoot me down in flames and call me a useless owner). Have tried various lockable ones which he cracked easily - so now the bin goes out the door when we do.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Not the large Brabantia one we have in our kitchen but if I leave empty yogurt pots or sweet wrappers in an upstairs waste-paper bin when I come home from work Parker will have trashed it
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Yep. My Lab used to be a pretty terrible bin raider as a youngster. Now he doesn't bother much at all, but I wouldn't leave the house with the bin full as he'd probably try it on.

Bo is an awesome bin raider. She can use the push bins (pushing with her nose) and the pedal ones (puts her paw on the pedal to open lid) and of course, can flip the entire lid off.

I verbally reprimand every time I catch her in the act, but I waste my breath really. I just manage it by emptying the bin regularly (daily), turning the bin around (she is far less likely to bother if she can't get easy access) or put a weight on top. This problem doesn't bother me any more as I'm more than used to managing it now!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Bin raiding is a normal scavengey type behaviour so there's nothing to be ashamed of, if anyone's dog does it (although no-one wants their dog to pull out the insides of their bin, thank you very much ).

I don't remember my current own dog doing it, but I know of owners whose dogs have done it, and who are habitual or perpetual bin raiders .

I use child gates to prevent dogs in the kitchen when I am not there, as I think it's simpler.

When we are in the kitchen, she sits calmly whilst we do stuff. I put her behind the child gate when we are boiling pans etc because I like her to be safe.

Wys
x
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2011, 09:20 AM
My two were serious bin raiders, every hour to see if anything else may appear in it. I bought a lockable one four years ago and it is still intact so problem solved
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by brophy View Post
My two were serious bin raiders, every hour to see if anything else may appear in it. I bought a lockable one four years ago and it is still intact so problem solved
We lasted a fortnight before he cracked the lockable one. It's one giant black plastic Kong to Layton!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >