Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
aw, yeh not ideal I suppose, Loui would love a little girly to play and lie with.....I'm not so sure he would stay harmonius with a male tho... Maybe we could borrow Zena?
Pack his bags - Zena much prefers the men!!!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Pack his bags - Zena much prefers the men!!!!

now it wouldnt be fair on old Georgie would it, another man muscling in like that, best if she just walks out I could send her train ticket ...or they could meet in Gretna!
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Don't know if you saw my post before but have both dogs, Rex especially, had thorough vet checks to rule out health issues? If Rex is in pain then that could explain his "grumpiness"
hi, sorry i must have missed it. Theyve had health checks and both seem to be ok. Duke might be getting abit of arthritus as hes sometimes stiff after exercise.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I have a fairly harmonious group of dogs so it's very rare I have to step in. The worst thing that happens here is if Jessie gets a bee in her bonnet and snaps at Jed for no reason other than he's breathing. If I catch her in the act (or even if I see her eyeing him up) then i'll physically go over to Jessie (just so the other dogs know they arent in trouble) and say something like "what do you think you are doing??!!" in my best teachers type voice so she knows i'm displeased. She hates to think she's done something wrong so that type of thing works a treat with her. I did once catch her fully attacking Jed in the back of the car. She was so engrossed in what she was doing that she didnt hear me leap out of my drivers seat and hurl the rear hatch open. She was on Jed's back as he was cowering down trying to avoid her teeth so in that instance I took her collar and plucked her non too pleasantly off him and out of the car and told her what I thought of her. Since then her behaviour has gotten better.

I've taught the dogs from day one that one of my big rules is that each dog has their own space when eating and that shouldnt be invaded by the other dogs. The collies have manners and dont go near anybody else yet Flynn cant quite resist circling and eyeing the other dogs wares up. He never moves in completely but it's obvious to us all that if that dog turns it's back, Flynn will be in like a shot! I do go over and make him move away but Jed will also growl a warning if he gets too close and I allow that.

Sometimes Flynn will guard me or his bed or if there is food about he'll curl his lip at the other dogs. He gets a very distinct look in his eye which tells me he's not happy and I never allow things like that. If that happens I move him away and he consequently becomes bottom of the pecking order since I may invite one of the other dogs over or give them the things Flynn is guarding, just to show I control those things, not him.

If they are having a grumble over invasion of personal space or if one dog has overstepped the mark somewhere (like playing too rough) then I let them get on with it but I dont allow guarding and I dont allow bullying.

However, I have submissive dogs both to each other and to myself and I know what is likely to disgruntle them so I try and avoid those situations or nip it in the bud when I see the behaviour forming. I dont leave anything out neither that could cause friction. All toys are put away out of the dogs way, bowls are removed as soon as they've eaten and anything edible which gets left (such as bones etc) is removed asap.

I suppose you just have to read your dogs and come up with a management plan that suits you.
Thanks for all the info, its just hard to know when to leave alone or to get involved.
If rex has a treat and hes just guarding it from duke (doesn't want to eat it) should i remove it from him??
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
Thanks for all the info, its just hard to know when to leave alone or to get involved.
If rex has a treat and hes just guarding it from duke (doesn't want to eat it) should i remove it from him??
If the dogs are having chews or something, they lose interest and move away then I remove that chew so another dog cant steal it and the original dog cant guard it. If it's a chew that they obviously arent bothered about and it's a case of they dont want it but they dont want another dog to have it either then I would take away the treat. But I can do that with my dogs without risking getting bitten, i'm not necessarily saying you should do that as I dont know what your dogs temperaments are like.

I'm always around when the dogs have chews or Kongs or similar things to make sure everything stays peaceful and fair and I can intervene if necessary.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Kirsty, if the dogs did not have access to bones together and they had to go to certain places at certain times would Rex still 'start' on Duke?

I'd probably make it seperate beds, seperate eating places....where I say they can eat, sleep...at least then Duke isnt being growled at constantly and has nothing to react to, Rex shouldnt feel the need to guard or be able to go out of his way to stare/growl etc

I'm no expert but just what I would do. I know what people are saying about not intervening too much but if you have two males both growly with one another, I'd rather manage it than let it escalate, which it is at the moment if Duke is retaliating.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5