Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I was laughing my socks off at your descriptions and thinking, "yeah", until I read about the electrical bit. Is that what he does?
It is believed so by many, and there has been footage posted of his shows where he has used shock devices without telling the viewers. In one when slowed down enough you copuld see the remote sticking out of his pocket, and a dog actually yelped when he went Tsst! to it.

And it doesn't take a whole heap of understanding to realise he must have paired the Tsst! with some kind of aversive, or the dogs simply wouldn't react as they do.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I guess he, like 99% of other people who watch Seizure Milan, have absolutely NO idea what's behind the trademark "Tssst!" either.

It's pretty easy actually.... do it now if your dog's in the room and awake. Get his attention with an Oi! or a Hey! and then narrow your eyes, point your fingers like at him you're a sorcerer about to cast a magic spell, and say "Tsst!"

What happens?
Usually one of two things occur:
a) Dog looks at you with a "Yer what, mate?" yawns, and carries on doing what he was doing before.
b) Dog thinks it's quite funny, gets a silly kick out of the hissing sound, and decides to chase the cat.

You are welcome to add any other responses your dog might have presented, but I bet the one you won't get is:
c) Dog looks at you, stops what it's doing, bows down and says: "I submit to thee oh magical lord & master!" which is what always happens with the mysterious magical esoterical Seizure Milan..... (cue Twilight Zone music).

Ever wondered why?

The clue is really in that it is well documented that with every dog, he takes it away for an hour or so without the owner being present. The reasons given for that are variously described as bonding/one to one/hippy doolally nonsense. That is quite enough time for him to strap on a shock collar in private [sorry - electrical dog curbing device], jab his fingers at it, and every time it sees the fingers coming and hears the "Tsst!! it gets a shock.

That's called pairing something with an aversive and is common strategy with that kind of trainer.

You and I might do something similar but pairing things with a positive - every time the dog does something good or hears our clicker we give it a treat or a praise - but this chap says it with shocks.

So there we have it, when client and dog finally reunited, dog goes to do something naughty and the Magical Seizure just waves his magic wand - sorry - fingers - utters the magic spell of "TSST!" and wowwwwww!!!! the dog stops what it's doing straight away!

Cue camera: wide amazed smiles from owner, "Wow maaan that's just maaagical!" big grin from the chap with the teefs and credits roll again along with the warning Do Not Try This Yourself At Home.

So simple, and so inherently corrupt, and so ruinous for so many dogs worldwide whose lives have been changed for the worse by the thousands who imitate this guy and think they have The Magic too
spot on
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:52 PM
It is believed so by many, and there has been footage posted of his shows where he has used shock devices without telling the viewers. In one when slowed down enough you copuld see the remote sticking out of his pocket, and a dog actually yelped when he went Tsst! to it.

And it doesn't take a whole heap of understanding to realise he must have paired the Tsst! with some kind of aversive, or the dogs simply wouldn't react as they do.
Someone around here tries that with her dog and was trying to tell me to do the same. The "tsst" I mean. Loki did his 'grin' at me as if to say, "yeah, whatever" and carried on doing what he was doing when I did it just now for a laugh. Well I had to after reading your post.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Well I had to after reading your post.
I have to say when I do it, Merlin chases my cat!

It's because whenever I've seen her do something like try to strop her claws on the best chair or, when she was younger, try for a crafty wee by the front door (it was a phase she went through), my instinctive reaction was to either clap my hands, hiss at her or say Pssst! as an interruptor, which works great with cats.

Merlin cottoned on to that ages ago, so if I ever tell the cat off for anything, he's right there to back me up and go tell her off too!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I have to say when I do it, Merlin chases my cat!

It's because whenever I've seen her do something like try to strop her claws on the best chair or, when she was younger, try for a crafty wee by the front door (it was a phase she went through), my instinctive reaction was to either clap my hands, hiss at her or say Pssst! as an interruptor, which works great with cats.

Merlin cottoned on to that ages ago, so if I ever tell the cat off for anything, he's right there to back me up and go tell her off too!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 08:26 AM
I guess he, like 99% of other people who watch Seizure Milan, have absolutely NO idea what's behind the trademark "Tssst!" either.

It's pretty easy actually.... do it now if your dog's in the room and awake. Get his attention with an Oi! or a Hey! and then narrow your eyes, point your fingers like at him you're a sorcerer about to cast a magic spell, and say "Tsst!"

What happens?
Usually one of two things occur:
a) Dog looks at you with a "Yer what, mate?" yawns, and carries on doing what he was doing before.
b) Dog thinks it's quite funny, gets a silly kick out of the hissing sound, and decides to chase the cat.

You are welcome to add any other responses your dog might have presented, but I bet the one you won't get is:
c) Dog looks at you, stops what it's doing, bows down and says: "I submit to thee oh magical lord & master!" which is what always happens with the mysterious magical esoterical Seizure Milan..... (cue Twilight Zone music).

Ever wondered why?

The clue is really in that it is well documented that with every dog, he takes it away for an hour or so without the owner being present. The reasons given for that are variously described as bonding/one to one/hippy doolally nonsense. That is quite enough time for him to strap on a shock collar in private [sorry - electrical dog curbing device], jab his fingers at it, and every time it sees the fingers coming and hears the "Tsst!! it gets a shock.

That's called pairing something with an aversive and is common strategy with that kind of trainer.

You and I might do something similar but pairing things with a positive - every time the dog does something good or hears our clicker we give it a treat or a praise - but this chap says it with shocks.

So there we have it, when client and dog finally reunited, dog goes to do something naughty and the Magical Seizure just waves his magic wand - sorry - fingers - utters the magic spell of "TSST!" and wowwwwww!!!! the dog stops what it's doing straight away!

Cue camera: wide amazed smiles from owner, "Wow maaan that's just maaagical!" big grin from the chap with the teefs and credits roll again along with the warning Do Not Try This Yourself At Home.

So simple, and so inherently corrupt, and so ruinous for so many dogs worldwide whose lives have been changed for the worse by the thousands who imitate this guy and think they have The Magic too
So well put If only your post could be spread more widely than Dogsey!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 08:56 AM
I was laughing my socks off at your descriptions and thinking, "yeah", until I read about the electrical bit. Is that what he does?
yes, common knowledge
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:07 AM
I am amazed that any of these people allow Ceasar to take their dogs away and spend time with them without their being present - amazed.

I remember in the third week we had Dex, and things were awful and I called in a dog trainer recommended to me by the rescue. He seemed really decent and explained that he needed to 'assess' how Dex is on the lead - so he wanted to take Dex out for a walk. Alone.

I said 'Sure of course you can walk him - but I'll be three steps behind you.'

NO WAY would ANY STRANGER EVER take my precious fellow out without me!!!!! Not for five minutes - let alone an HOUR.

Unless of course it's someone I know and trust implicitly.

I didn't know Cesar M did that with the dogs on his shows - very upsetting to read it, but glad I know.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:00 AM
I posted this link to my FB profile and got mostly responses inline with whats been said here, except one chick, who owns like 7 dogs and is a professed dog lover/trainer, who said I'm just nitpicking and looking for things to dislike about him because I don't like him. "He's only trying to make it intersting for TV after all"

I was floored! How can people really think its OK to provoke a dog and cause it stress for the sake of interesting TV and still call themselves dog lovers!

It boggles the mind...
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I am amazed that any of these people allow Ceasar to take their dogs away and spend time with them without their being present - amazed.

I remember in the third week we had Dex, and things were awful and I called in a dog trainer recommended to me by the rescue. He seemed really decent and explained that he needed to 'assess' how Dex is on the lead - so he wanted to take Dex out for a walk. Alone.

I said 'Sure of course you can walk him - but I'll be three steps behind you.'

NO WAY would ANY STRANGER EVER take my precious fellow out without me!!!!! Not for five minutes - let alone an HOUR.

Unless of course it's someone I know and trust implicitly.

I didn't know Cesar M did that with the dogs on his shows - very upsetting to read it, but glad I know.
I think that's strange wanting to take the dog out alone without you? When we saw a beahviourist (re Cherry and fear reactivity to other dogs) he wanted to go out WITH me and, I presume, then he watched how I reacted to Cherry's behaviour as well as it is about the owner's as well as the dog's behaviour!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >