View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
badrobot
New Member!
Female 

23-10-2010, 10:50 PM
No, the kids don't punish her...they just shout for me to come clean it up.

I will continue to take her outside ans stick with her. I have been trying to get her to go in a certain place in the garden but she wanders off...so I guess the lead is the best way to stop the wandering and get her to go in a certain place.

*sigh* I'm sure we will get there. The vet did say that there will be huge changes in just a short period of time.

I've been told that I should be trying to train her with commands now too but I'm not sure if I can house train her, stop her from chasing the baby and teach her commands all at the same time. Will it be a real issue if I leave that until a bit later? Or should I try as often as I can now?

Will check back in the morning. I'm cream crackered.

Thanks again
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Well, it would be easier if you can start teaching her now before bad habits set in. Perhaps get her booked into some puppy classes. I know you have lots of kids, but maybe leave your hubby at home with the kids so that you can take the puppy to classes.

Alternatively, get a trainer to come do some one to one lessons in your home. That way the trainer can help you to 'train' your kids too One to one lessons will also help with specific problems within the home and at least get you started on the basics.

In my experience, the later you leave it, the harder it will get. But shes only 9 weeks, so dont stress on getting her started tomorrow or anything. But getting her signed up will be a good idea.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Puppy pads are awful, my brothers GF has a westie and she used puppy pads, she's now 10 and still isnt housetrained :/

We were lucky with Louie, he was pretty much paper trained when we got him so he got the conservatory to himself, a crate and piles of paper everywhere, it took three weeks but the paper dwindled and at 12 weeks he was house trained.
We started getting up at 6am - letting him out, and then every half an hour after that for the first week, and every week that past we added on another 15 minutes to when we would let him out.

He's 5 months now, and can hold his bladder from half 9 at night til 9am - we only know this from a one off though we always let the dogs out at 10:30 - 11pm and I'm usually up by 7am.

As for children, if you have upwards of one, I would also suggest a playpen indoors for her. She also needs lots of toys and chews - Westies are awful chewers - in my experience.

And again I agree with the starting her on training early, terriers have the tendancy to be stubborn and will use it to their advantage.

Good luck with her, she'll make a great dog
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 07:26 AM
I agree with the other posters in that toileting shouldnt be encouraged anywhere in the house really, if you have suitable outside space. I also dont like the idea of a toilet within the crate, especially as once the dog is full grown there will be less space for it and yet he will expect to go in there as he has previously done.

Persistance is the key and i believe training will help, get the children to sit nicely for a few mins and if you can get to puppy classes then spend a few mins a few times a day practising/perfecting what you learn, you can do this waiting for the kettle to boil, while your little one is asleep etc, it doesnt take long and will really help if you can get him to sit/wait etc.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 07:30 AM
I love terriers but the can be stubborn little so and so's and very strong willed. I cant add much to the posts but I do suggest that before you clean up any mess remove her first so she doesnt see you do it, remember there mums clean up after them so it sort of makes it ok.

I would also make her sit every time you feed her, so this will start her training.

The main thing is lots of praise when she does things right, a firm NO when she does things wrong, and never smack her. It sounds like you are doing things right it just takes time.

Good luck and enjoy your new puppy.
swarthy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
She has had her 1st lot of vaccinations, due her 2nd in about 10 days. My other half has been taking her out to try and tire her out (altho this has been done against advice from vet) but if anything, she comes back even more livelier than before he took her out
Why do you think this is? Exercise INCREASES stamina - and the cycle will continue to get worse. Also, you don't define what you mean by 'out' - but if it to public places - then you are potentially placing this pups health at SERIOUS risk, and you with a whole heap of vets bills and possible heartache and loss.

Training is the way to stimulate and wear them out - a short sharp 5 minutes a few times a day - someone has already given some advice on clicker training - not something I use - but I know many who do very successfully.

Please DO NOT resort to tapping this poor puppy in any way with anything, apart from any potential damage to the dog, you run the serious risk of it responding, and with a 9 month old baby in tow you really could be storing up a whole lot of trouble for yourself.

Have you got a crate? If Not, why not? it gives the dog some respite from the child and visa versa.

For stopping it chasing the baby - try using a lead - that way you have full control - when pup does what you tell it (i.e. stop, sit, lay down or whatever command you use to stop her - remember simple consistent words and voice tone from you and any other adults in the house) - when it does what you tell it - reward it with a treat - it will soon get the message.

As for housetraining - consistency is the only answer I'm afraid - you do need to remember you have a baby crawling all over the floor, so hygeine is paramount - make sure the pup is fully wormed and continues to be wormed regularly.

Take it out every half hour - use short commands like 'pee' and 'poo' (or even quick) - and again, when it goes, reward it.

If pup starts to go in the house - with a short sharp word, pick her up and take her out (and stay out until it toilets) and again, reward it when it goes. Biological washing powder is very good for removing scent.

Housetraining can take 2 weeks, 2 months or even longer - you wouldn't expect your nine month old baby to be out of nappies - why on earth do you expect a 9 week old pup to have any more control or idea?

Using a crate CAN help with house training.

===============================

It's probably already been said, and I've no doubt you aren't - but please remember to NEVER leave baby and pup alone ( you have several years this way - so it's going to take a lot of vigilence and being on the ball at ALL times).

People DO have babies and puppies at the same time, but it's a lot of hard work, and a lot of these people are experienced dog owners.

Did the breeder know you have a crawling baby at home? Personally, as a breeder, under the circumstances, I am not convinced I would have sold you a pup.

IF you really feel you can't cope, then PLEASE return this pup to the breeder - don't consider selling it yourself.

===================

ETA - I've just reread your initial post - PLEASE you need to get to grips with this situation fast - you run the risk of the puppy inadvertently injuring your child - not through malice - but it's so young - it's not yet able to distinguish between right and wrong.

I would hate anything to happen to your child, and I would hate for this poor puppy to become yet another statistic of dog on child attacks through owner inexperience. (NB: I am not saying the puppy is going to turn nasty - but the play behaviour could EASILY result in an unfortunate accident)
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
Thanks for all advice guys
I do take her out to the garden every time she wakes, eats, plays and approx every 45mins in between these. But she doesn't go outside (not all the time) then does it as soon as we let her in. Do I need to supervise constantly? Go out with her every time she needs to go? And if I do will this just be temporary or will I have to go with her EVERY time for her whole life? And when she does go in the correct place (provided I've seen her do it) I do shower her with praise and the odd treat.
You do to start with but it won't last long. Without you there she won't understand why she's been put out. I always have a command for weeing and pooing and keep saying it over and over until she does it - then much praise! I wouldn't treat personally. You will find eventually that you can get her to wee and poo on command - very useful if you are in a hurry! You just have to remember that she wasn't born knowing she must do it outside, you have to teach her.

I would also be wary of giving her too much exercise at this very young age. Apart from possibly damaging soft young joints, she will grow up expecting it and this expectation will increase with her growth and fitness.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Rather than so much running around which is making her overtired and fractious (like your kids get). Give her her food in a kong (look them up on line if you are not sure what they are). Put her in a safe area to chew on it away from all the kids. When you want it back swop it for a titbit and praise. DON'T chase her for anything or get in a fight over possessions, always swop.

For house training go out with her EVERY time and use the word when she is actually going. Then treat her.

Go to a puppy class and chat to the trainer or get somone in to give you help and back up.

Good luck.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Something you said earlier about the house training caught my attention.

You say , you put her out for up to 45 mins at a time, then allow her back in, where she will then pee and poo.

You have to educate her how to potty outside, its no good simply putting her out, she will not know why she is put outside, other than somewhere to go an explore, on her own, and then she may by accident go potty while out there, but she will not have you telling her "what a good girl she is"! so will never associate the two together.

Someone mentioned using a lead, good idea, she needs to learn, the difference between going out to potty and going out to play.

Use the lead, take her to the place she has toileted before, (generally they go in the same place) she will be able to sniff her own "smell" so hang around there, dont stimulate her (talk or play) and waitttttttttttt!!! it might take 5 mins , it would take 20, but dont come back in until she has done something.

As she starts to toilet, add a word..(what ever you like) be quick/ pee pee / go potty, anything that rolls of your tongue the easiest, as time goes on, and she learns to associate the word and her need to toilet, you will be able to use the command, and she will then understand what is expected of her.

To be honest, taking on a young puppy as a firs time dog owner, along with having a 9 mth old child (you have other children too??) is taking on an awful lot, and to be honest, agree with another poster is questioning the breeder how sold you the pup.

Many many of my friends who breed would NOT do this, for ALL the reasons you are experiencing...

Ask yourself this........ what would you do if your 9 mth old was a twin, can you imagine the time it would take up.

Sorry to say , thats the scenario you have placed yourself in.

Many people can cope, but even experienced parents and dog owners would bourke at the thought of raising twins

Your vet is right, you should not be walking your pup, till she is fully vaccinated, you are putting her at risk of potentially life threatening diseases, along with hyping her up (as you have found)

You can tire her out in the garden or in the house, by 5 Min's of metal stimulation (not playing) do a bit of training, get your older children involved... teach her to sit/wait/ lay down/ came to call. fetch a ball, this till tire her far more than a walk in the streets.

Invest in baby gates, you must have them already if you have a near toddler on your hands.

Separate rooms, if your toddler is roaming, you can them separate pup and toddler, when you cant be with them, and only allow pup in room with toddler when you are with them, this is for both their sakes, a toddler can hurt a puppy, just as a puppy can hurt a toddler, neither do it with intent, but the toddler will come off worse, as the puppy will have very sharp teeth,

Invest in a crate, and crate train your puppy, again its away to separate both and gives pup a quiet corner to retreat to.

its also important, that the puppy learns to "rest"

you and your husband need to sit down and really discuss this, have you done the right thing, have you the time to put into this pup (its going to be a long haul) with training and everythign else , did you buy puppy on a whim(sorry not meant nastily) just trying to understand, or was it a long thought out decision.

If you are really feeling you may have made a mistake, speak to your breeder today, and talk over your problems, (if the breeder is a good one they will help you in any way) if you really feel you cant cope, ask the breeder to take pup back..........please dont sell it on to someone else, the breeder (again if a good one) will want her puppy back .

Good luck !!!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by swarthy View Post
Why do you think this is? Exercise INCREASES stamina - and the cycle will continue to get worse. Also, you don't define what you mean by 'out' - but if it to public places - then you are potentially placing this pups health at SERIOUS risk, and you with a whole heap of vets bills and possible heartache and loss.

Training is the way to stimulate and wear them out - a short sharp 5 minutes a few times a day - someone has already given some advice on clicker training - not something I use - but I know many who do very successfully.

Please DO NOT resort to tapping this poor puppy in any way with anything, apart from any potential damage to the dog, you run the serious risk of it responding, and with a 9 month old baby in tow you really could be storing up a whole lot of trouble for yourself.

Have you got a crate? If Not, why not? it gives the dog some respite from the child and visa versa.

For stopping it chasing the baby - try using a lead - that way you have full control - when pup does what you tell it (i.e. stop, sit, lay down or whatever command you use to stop her - remember simple consistent words and voice tone from you and any other adults in the house) - when it does what you tell it - reward it with a treat - it will soon get the message.

As for housetraining - consistency is the only answer I'm afraid - you do need to remember you have a baby crawling all over the floor, so hygeine is paramount - make sure the pup is fully wormed and continues to be wormed regularly.

Take it out every half hour - use short commands like 'pee' and 'poo' (or even quick) - and again, when it goes, reward it.

If pup starts to go in the house - with a short sharp word, pick her up and take her out (and stay out until it toilets) and again, reward it when it goes. Biological washing powder is very good for removing scent.

Housetraining can take 2 weeks, 2 months or even longer - you wouldn't expect your nine month old baby to be out of nappies - why on earth do you expect a 9 week old pup to have any more control or idea?

Using a crate CAN help with house training.

===============================

It's probably already been said, and I've no doubt you aren't - but please remember to NEVER leave baby and pup alone ( you have several years this way - so it's going to take a lot of vigilence and being on the ball at ALL times).

People DO have babies and puppies at the same time, but it's a lot of hard work, and a lot of these people are experienced dog owners.

Did the breeder know you have a crawling baby at home? Personally, as a breeder, under the circumstances, I am not convinced I would have sold you a pup.

IF you really feel you can't cope, then PLEASE return this pup to the breeder - don't consider selling it yourself.

===================

ETA - I've just reread your initial post - PLEASE you need to get to grips with this situation fast - you run the risk of the puppy inadvertently injuring your child - not through malice - but it's so young - it's not yet able to distinguish between right and wrong.

I would hate anything to happen to your child, and I would hate for this poor puppy to become yet another statistic of dog on child attacks through owner inexperience. (NB: I am not saying the puppy is going to turn nasty - but the play behaviour could EASILY result in an unfortunate accident)
Good post Swarthy - just about said it all.
I hope the poster does not resort to hitting the pup with a rolled up newspaper - it is archaeic and in the same school as rubbing a puppies nose in its mess. Cruel and totally counterproductive.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >