Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
natalienicole
New Member!
Female 

29-07-2007, 09:11 AM

help with newly adopted dog

Hi I just got a pointer today from the humane society and shes a wonderful dog. I got her to go walking with me and shes does just great on a leash already. Except for one thing shes is scared of so many things. Cars, even when they arent running, she wont get in or near my jeep, semis apparently I had to carry her past one and that wasnt easy, bigger dogs even when friendly, butterflys, anything that makes noise basically. And I feel so bad since its kinda hard to stay away from these things 24/7 I dont want her scared all the time. So my question is how do i get her over this ive never had a dog so scared of stuff before.
About the only thing she isnt scared of is birds and rabbits and I guess thats the hunting dog in her but I hate her being scared of everything else. Please help
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi Natalie congratulations on your new dog, you may find this article on shy dogs useful.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8050

I would take things gently, don't try to force your dog into a situation she is not comfortable with, at the same time don't sympathise with her if she is afraid but use a bright confident voice and always give lots of praise if she overcomes a fear .

Regarding the jeep, try to make it associated with good things, lay a trail of special treats near it (like bits of chicken) and throw them inside so she goes to get them, if she does so try feeding her in the jeep...progress to sitting in the jeep but not going anywhere, when she is comfortable with this try short journeys of 10 mins ,tiny steps at a time is the way to go .
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Go back to basics is my advice treat her like a puppy. Build her confidence being been confident, don't pick her up and carry her walk past briskly and don't make a fuss. But remember she has to trust you so DON'T FORCE HER to do anything, but try to forsee where difficulties may occur and work a way to not make her stressed - you are the cleverer of the two

Little and often is often the way forward, but remember to go two steps backwards everyday so you are reinforcing the positive. Don't stress her out.

Min's idea for the jeep is good.
As she is a rescue dog you have no idea I imagine of her past - for all you know she was thrown from a car or spent time on a main road avoiding cars hence her fear. It could be deeper seated than you imagine.

However it cannot go on. So how about finding somewhere quiet but within the sight of cars maybe a quiet road in the distance and getting her to settle, maybe give her a chew or ball or something and just sit and so she realises they (cars) don't won't hurt her. Just do this daily till you can get her to sit quietly as a car starts up. May take you weeks/months but worth it in the end. You may never get a really confident dog but you will with lots of work hopefully have a dog that can relax enough to "enjoy" life.

Best of luck but she sounds lovely. Whats her name?

Karen
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 07:34 PM
hello natalie
just take it step at a time ,we got a rescue girl september ,she had a few issues ,but in twelve mnonths boy has this girl come a long way . she not only looks diffrent she has found out how to be well behaved ,we had few things to sort out as well as barking none stop ,its all gone now ,treat her like a little pup lots of love and gentle strokes soft voice ect ,we had collie who came from the country ,she was scared like yours of every think ,if alorry came past she would hit the ground scared stiff ,so i used to bend down stroke her head and give her cuddle ,she soon got over it . good luck congratulations x