View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 07:24 PM
I have'nt seen on person on this thread not agree that sometimes wildlife needs to be kept under control

People always put them selves first (rightly ot wrong).. we are such a self centred species! ... well most are..
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Because they are either a threat to farm crops or us.Theres a huge knock on effect if all the various pest species were not controlled.One farmer i know lost approximately 30 acres of winter rape few years back to rabbits and woodpigeon so if you multiply that across all the farms in the UK if they didnt impliment some form of pest control these losses get passed onto the customer-namely us!

Rats and mice are also vermin,but i guess you wouldnt want to share your home with them!
Actually, I do share my home with rats...Fancy rats that is!

I do appreciate that some wild animals cause damage to crops etc., but I still don't class them as vermin...Because they don't know that it's wrong and ARE just trying to survive. They don't know that the crops they are eating belong to somebody, or that they carry diseases, of which we may catch. Every living creature has a right to survive and I believe that us humans with our much more developed brains have more reason to be classed as vermin for all the damage WE cause!

Also, we have encroached on and destroyed most of these so called 'vermin's' habitats, so these animals are just trying to live as they have always done, in the places they have always lived, regardless of how WE have taken over these areas.
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I have'nt seen on person on this thread not agree that sometimes wildlife needs to be kept under control

People always put them selves first (rightly ot wrong).. we are such a self centred species! ... well most are..
Totally agreed!!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post
Actually, I do share my home with rats...Fancy rats that is!

I do appreciate that some wild animals cause damage to crops etc., but I still don't class them as vermin...Because they don't know that it's wrong and ARE just trying to survive. They don't know that the crops they are eating belong to somebody, or that they carry diseases, of which we may catch. Every living creature has a right to survive and I believe that us humans with our much more developed brains have more reason to be classed as vermin for all the damage WE cause!

Also, we have encroached on and destroyed most of these so called 'vermin's' habitats, so these animals are just trying to live as they have always done, in the places they have always lived, regardless of how WE have taken over these areas.
well said!

and maybe if farmers encouraged the rabbits and pigeons natural predators like foxes and sparrow hawkes their crops wouldnt suffer such damage...
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
well said!

and maybe if farmers encouraged the rabbits and pigeons natural predators like foxes and sparrow hawkes their crops wouldnt suffer such damage...
But for some of them its taking away their power/enjoyment!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Cracks me up - ''I only kill vermin because I'm doing my good deed for mankind''.

Riiiiight, you keep telling yourself that then while that animal's life is wiped out from underneath it because YOU decide it needs to be.

God delusions or what.

Oh and deer are not classed as vermin - ''"Vermin" is a term not defined in law but may include destructive species that cause damage to field crops or property (rabbits, mink, stoat, weasel, brown rat and grey squirrel). Vermin may also be used to refer to certain species of birds as wood pigeon, rook and crow.''
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2010, 08:49 PM
so true...sadly many farmers arnt very forward thinking when it comes to wildlife and the environment.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Truth be known-many farmers/landowners/tennants dont get involved in pest control due to lack of time so instead get people like myself to do.

Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
well said!
Buzzards are a common sight round here,but even they cannot keep up with the woodpigeon/rabbit population.Foxes tend to prey on pheasants and domestic poultry.

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Cracks me up - ''I only kill vermin because I'm doing my good deed for mankind''.
Nope-i've never said that.I do it because its what i've always done.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Nope-i've never said that.I do it because its what i've always done.
So thats a good enough reason...ohh wow.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2010, 09:19 PM
So thats a good enough reason...ohh wow.
Yes it is im afraid.I make no appologies that i enjoy what i do.
Page 11 of 51 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »