Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by border pop View Post
Our weim had to be castrated due to an undecended testicle. About a week or two after the op he beacame nervous and aggressive towards other dogs and we have to watch him like a hawk off lead (he has excellent recall otherwise he wouldn't be let off). Up until being castrated he was friendly and playful with other dogs. I believe that the testosterone gave him confidence whereas now, he has none and cannot cope, so has resorted to aggression to keep other dogs away.
Yes it can have that effect, I think Lukes Springer was similar.
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes it can have that effect, I think Lukes Springer was similar.

Ah, sorry, missed that post skimming through.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:28 PM
No, was just saying that like you, its happened to others.
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Makes you think twice before going ahead with it with a healthy dog with no problems. In our case we felt we had no choice due to his 'problem' Asked the vet when it happened whether he thought the aggression had anything to do with being castrated and he said, 'no, of course not'. Well, he was a lovely dog before and after the op it is nothing but stress walking him?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Don't know how true this is, but have been told that if a female is neutered, her testosterone levels rise and that can result in aggression. When I first took my 2 to the vets for a check up and to be microchipped and 2nd vax he asked me if I was having them spayed and I said not on your life!!! Unless there was a medical problem I just wouldn't. I do think that some vets look on it as a money spinner though. They often recommend it as a cure for the normal exuberance and destruction that goes with having a puppy and often people believe this, I have never heard of it working yet, but I am sure the vets get a good holiday out of it
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Over the years we have had all except one of ours neutered about 6-8 months old girls and boys, as we have no intention of breeding and like to have a girl and boy at the same time so it makes life easier for them and us.

Only one we didn't get neutered went on to develop breast tumours and cervical tumours when she was 11, several operations later we had to let her go, devestated that we made her suffer just because we didn't get her neutered when we had a choice.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong for neutering but it made up our minds neutering was for us best.
ceejay
New Member!
Female 

09-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Early neutering(especially of males)affected the closure of the growth plates in the long bones for starters-there is a direct link to the correct closure of growth plates in canines & testosterone & obviously removing the testes & ovaries stops the production of testosterone(& yes females do have testosterone). This leads to joint problems in later life & the dog growing taller & leggier than normal.

Wouldn't you think that during the 5 or 6 years it takes to qualify as a Vet that they would have been taught this. Let the animal finish growing before taking such action.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Early neutering(especially of males)affected the closure of the growth plates in the long bones for starters-there is a direct link to the correct closure of growth plates in canines & testosterone & obviously removing the testes & ovaries stops the production of testosterone(& yes females do have testosterone). This leads to joint problems in later life & the dog growing taller & leggier than normal.

Wouldn't you think that during the 5 or 6 years it takes to qualify as a Vet that they would have been taught this. Let the animal finish growing before taking such action.
The difference in height is one to two millimetre`s - hardly a cause for creating over tall leggy dogs
My eldest BC is very tall and leggy - he was`nt snipped until he was 2 years old. My next oldest was done in rescue at 5 months - he is perfectly normal height.

When the plate closure is slightly slowed from young neuter, [ young as in 8 weeks to approx 7 months ], the bones also become denser and stronger, so less chance of green stick fractures which so many pups are prone to.

The only anomaly which is still being researched and has not been concluded yet, it in Rotties, and only in those which were born predisposed to bone cancer, the research is to find out if young neuter for them may trigger earlier onset of the cancer than may have occurred if neutered later on - but it must be kept clear that the research is not yet concluded and is limited to those Rotties which would develop bone cancer regardless, not that neutering causes the cancer.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Don't know how true this is, but have been told that if a female is neutered, her testosterone levels rise and that can result in aggression. When I first took my 2 to the vets for a check up and to be microchipped and 2nd vax he asked me if I was having them spayed and I said not on your life!!! Unless there was a medical problem I just wouldn't. I do think that some vets look on it as a money spinner though. They often recommend it as a cure for the normal exuberance and destruction that goes with having a puppy and often people believe this, I have never heard of it working yet, but I am sure the vets get a good holiday out of it
It was believed to be the case but findings have turned that on it`s head, [ can`t find the link at this moment as it`s on my normal PC which still has`nt been fixed yet ], but I`ll try to find it again in the mean time.

My Gremlin was dog aggressive, after her spay it was like a huge weight had lifted off her, she no longer felt the need to pre-emptively defend herself from the attention of other dogs. Luckily as I am pro-spay anyway, she did`nt end up dying from closed pyo though it was a close call - her`s was found ready to rupture when opened up for her routine spay - the vet said even just a bump in the road during the drive there could have ruptured her and she would have been a gonner by the time I`d have arrived at the vets. She had no outward symptoms as is usually the case with closed pyo, [ until it`s too late ], and even on pre-op palpitation there was nothing to indicate what the vet found when he opened her up, and that itself gave the vet a heck of a shock, he said the palpitation could also have ruptured her, she was incredibly lucky...

Her previous owners had told me she was spayed - she started her season two weeks after I adopted her...
I spoke to them about it and they believed - seriously - that her boosters meant she was spayed ...
When asked if she had ever bled before they said well yes she did once but it stopped by itself after a few weeks so they did`nt bother taking her to the vet to find out why she was bleeding... [ and yep, she was often left to roam, their children including a then 6 year old were the one`s who took her for walks, but would just drop her lead and tell her to go home when distracted by their friends to go and play instead ].
When vets are dealing with people like that, and when having to do injection after injection to prevent pregnancy after accidental matings, or doing ceasars sometimes losing the bitch after accidental matings with a pairing the bitch just can`t manage in terms of puppy size, and call out after call out from people completely unprepared because a pregnancy was`nt carefully planned, and all the other problems of matings which should never have happened, and stitching up males which have been hit by cars during a frenzy to try to get to a bitch in heat a few miles away, or dogs which have fought because of the same, etc etc etc, is it any wonder they sometimes feel the need to be a bit pushy about neutering
[ To talk to clients about it `clumsily` is not ideal obviously, but I can certainly understand why they can be jaded about it ]

It`s very easy for many here to say it would never happen with their dogs due to responsible management but lets not forget not everyone `out there` is so experienced, and the fact is that any entire dog might try anything to get to a bitch no matter how disinterested they may have been in the past, dogs have minds of their own, they are not robots, not every instance can be predicted, so anyone with less than optimum experience of ensuring a dog can`t get pregnant or cause pregnancy in an unplanned way or who lives in Fort Knox as a preventative really does need to carefully consider if they are prepared for the responsibility of keeping their dogs entire - those who are, fine, but far too many simply don`t realise the lengths some dogs will go to out of pure instinct for procreation, and some grown adults don`t seem to know about the birds and bee`s for themselves let alone their dogs .
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 09:07 AM
I should say that I am not anti-neuter, and all 4 of mine are neutered, and all my previous dogs have been (at various stages in their life). However, I don`t feel this should be an automatic procedure. Daisy has only just been spayed - I`ve had her 18 months and have had quite of bit of criticism during that time for not having her spayed immediately. She had behaviour issues, which I knew I had to address before she was neutered. If I`d spayed her before I would have needed to combat hormone-driven changes as well as a lot of history. Now she`s a nice dog, she has been spayed. I think the OP wasn`t so much saying neutering shouldn`t happen, but was questioning if it needed to be done in such a rush. I know there are a lot of numpties out there, but some of us do have our dogs best interests at heart.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >