Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2006, 07:13 PM

Stepometer-anyone tried it?

I bought a stepometer (or sometimes called a Pedometer) on saturday cause the chemist was flogging them for £1.99 and i was curious to know how far i walk in an average day.It seems pretty accurate cause i had to input my body weight,length of stride and it was counting every step.Its pretty good cause it works out distance in km,calories,has stopwatch,clock and can also sound an alarm when you reach a certain amount of steps.

Apparently i walked 23,461 steps (from 5.30am this morning to 6.00pm this evening) which is 14.54 km and i burnt off 948.5 calories.Obviously,i've been at work so a few more calories have been burnt there also!

Anyone else tried one of these and how many or far did you walk???
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-06-2006, 07:15 PM
erm they are called pedometers, thats their proper name, stepometers is just the laymen version to encoursage people to buy them

they have been around for a very long time and are a hiking tool
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by ceiron
erm they are called pedometers, thats their proper name, stepometers is just the laymen version to encoursage people to buy them

they have been around for a very long time and are a hiking tool

I know they've been about for a while Ceiron-i had one from Walkers crisps,but that wasnt too accurate cause i managed to walk 3/4 hr using only 60 steps lol!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2006, 07:44 PM
I bought one to see how far I walked the dogs. The older ones go 1.4miles, the young bitch 4.5 miles!! Wish I hadnt got one now!
Dawn.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
I know they've been about for a while Ceiron-i had one from Walkers crisps,but that wasnt too accurate cause i managed to walk 3/4 hr using only 60 steps lol!
big steps babe

i have one...though keep forgetting to put it on. It always disappoints me that I have walked all these thousands of steps and not burnt many calories off. I reckon I would need to do about 20miles to burn my Big Mac off
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Hi Steve...wow you walked a long way!!!!
I've had a pretty accurate one that OH bought me for a while now as some of the 'cheaper' ones either don't record all your steps or record 10 steps every time you breath!!!!
I generally walk between 15,000 to 20,000 but on more stagnant stay at home ad let oH do all dog walking and I do son...as little as 5000. They're good fun and get you motivated to walk more!!! I hate being without mine now, think it's become an obsessive compulsive disorder, have only walked 14,500 today, but have been working at pc a lot!!!! Welcome to the wcky world of stepometers!!!! (The ones from McDonalds were crap too!!!!)
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-06-2006, 07:48 PM
u need a decent one you can calibrate for our gait.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by ceiron
u need a decent one you can calibrate for our gait.

Its does-you input your length of stride.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
Hi Steve...wow you walked a long way!!!!
I've had a pretty accurate one that OH bought me for a while now as some of the 'cheaper' ones either don't record all your steps or record 10 steps every time you breath!!!!
I generally walk between 15,000 to 20,000 but on more stagnant stay at home ad let oH do all dog walking and I do son...as little as 5000. They're good fun and get you motivated to walk more!!! I hate being without mine now, think it's become an obsessive compulsive disorder, have only walked 14,500 today, but have been working at pc a lot!!!! Welcome to the wcky world of stepometers!!!! (The ones from McDonalds were crap too!!!!)
I do a hell of a lot of walking at work so this is where the vast majority of my steps have come from Ailsa,but i havent done anything different today to exagerate the count.Infact,i only took Vegas out for about 3/4 hr this afternoon cause it was so hot and normally go out for atleast 1 1/2 hrs of continual walking.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Het
big steps babe

i have one...though keep forgetting to put it on. It always disappoints me that I have walked all these thousands of steps and not burnt many calories off. I reckon I would need to do about 20miles to burn my Big Mac off
lol-its not just the walking which burns off calories cause even with what i walked-i only got rid of 948.My job is kinda physical and im constantly on the go so therefore im burning it off.

Try attaching pedals to your desk Het and making your PC dynamo powered cause this will burn off loads of calories! It may make peeps wonder what the hell your doing when your sitting there dripping with sweat though!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >