Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 04:42 PM

Asthma - other peoples experiences

I was diagnosed with asthma a few months ago (well a few weeks before I got Bodhi - so november ish).

I basically had an asthma attack, went to the Dr's the next day and he diagnosed me. I should have guessed really as I have been living with the symptoms for possibly years and just thought it was normal

He gave me steroids for a week and an inhaler which I rarely use. I never went back for my 2nd appointment and I have never had a problem (yes - naughty I know).

BUT! I must be 100% totally allergic to my mum and dads. I am wheezy in the morning and night and have used my inhaler every day so far. It is like this every time I have returned here. I'm not usually allergic, only cats (although - I have lived with my own 2 with NO problems). They have a bengal which is supposedly low allergy and a siamese. I think it is the siamese! Yes - I am going to go back to the doctors!!

Right this second, my chest is wheezy and have have an itchy cough!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Could it be a combination of things, perhaps hayfever? The season is just beginning...

Hope you find a solution and pinpoint the cause soon.

x
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks

I am pretty sure it is my mums house though... No matter what time of year, as soon as I am back here it gets like this. Definately needs sorting, because who knows when I will encouter the same again!

Will have to see what happens this summer, but hopefully not much. Was fine this summer
AxlAndChaos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2006, 10:33 PM
I got diagnosed with asthma AFTER i stopped smoking in february, apparently anything can set it off, started smoking again and i hardly get a wheeze now, though i am on a steroid "preventer" inhaler twice a day (which i always forget)
Maybe your mum has a plant or some cleaning agent that sets you off?
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by AxlAndChaos
I got diagnosed with asthma AFTER i stopped smoking
Me too

The Dr reckones it's genetic now... I certainly don't know.

I think it is my mums siamese cat. Think..
Honesty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2006, 12:06 PM
have had asthma as long as I can remember, and allergies too.. ehem ehem..sickly me..BOL, anyhoo, not only do I have asthma, I'm allergic to... HORSES, and cats, and sheep and rats, but HORSES??? I spend every day with them, my own I am fine with, but new ones that I don't know bring on my asthma and allergies, I have an injection every April (very soon) to get me through the summer show season, that and hayfever..LOL and it's only around other peoples pets I don't see every day that I show any signs of a reaction.

I'd say it could be your mum's house, or cat, or she could have a high level of dust mites, does she vac the matresses??? ( sound mad now..)
Since I gave up housework, and dusting was first on the list... my allergies, and my daughters have never been better, we have built up a better tollerance now, which is the opposite of the advice given to us ...so I'm not going to ever be a neat freak, and a bit of dirt never hurt, as the saying goes!
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 12:43 PM

I don't think it is dust as vaccuming was never high on my 'list of things to do' in my flat

Got Dr's appointment for this afternoon, so will she what she has to say about it all! Probably shout at me for not going to my follow-up
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 03:19 PM
hi Bodhi, sounds like I get around cats. Could it be stress related as well???
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 04:14 PM
My OH has extremely bad asthma, he's on about 4 or 5 different inhalers a day.
If he's played with teagan for a while, thats sets him off.
When we visit my Mum, he wheezes really bad, as she has a cat.

If he goes away for a few days, and then comes home, he's quite bad, and has to 'get used' to teagan again!
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Well.

Not very eventful... She didn't seem too convinced there was anything wrong lol!

She has given me another inhaler and said if I am still needing to use it every day in a week or 2 to go back!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >