Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2012, 04:58 PM

Evil toddler puppy stage

My pup is 11 weeks and seems to have a couple of sessions per day of turning evil, he bites- more then usual he will latch on and shake, my hand is his favourite thing so is currently bleeding, he growls and barks at my other dog, he wont play with anything or be distracted with anything, i have to put him in his crate before he destroys someone or something. Has anyone elses pup been like this? Im assuming its a phase, i hope so!
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 05:07 PM

We don't call ours the pirhana for nothing! They do grow out of it.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 05:08 PM
My puppy was very bitey at about that age, particularly feet and trousers. I keep a harness on her all the time so there is a convenient handle on her back. If she pounced on our feet we just said a firm "Ah ah" and moved her away from our feet and distracted her with a toy. If she was very hyped up and behaving like a piranha she would be given a stuffed kong to distract her until she calmed down. She doesn't bite feet any more and if she gets over excited and bitey we turn away from her and ignore her. She always looks very hurt when we do this and it has done the trick.
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 06:49 PM
I swear Betsy was half croc until about this time! Try to redirect her with a toy. If that doesn't work crate her 15mins to calm down with stuffed Kong (frozen) and chew worked for us!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Until I read your post I had forgotten that 'bitey' stage one of mine in particular went through. At the time I was convinced he was going to grow up into a vicious dog He hasn't done at all and is a real softy now and never, never uses his teeth on us.
Like your pup he would get 'beside himself' and the best thing was for me to give a quick 'Ah, Ah' and leave the room for a minute or so. That worked the best, but there were occasions when he would nip the back of my calves as I left the room. I actually can't remember when it stopped but it did last a few months. 'Yelping' at him didn't work and in fact just made him more excited.
Don't panic he will grow out of it.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 09:25 PM
My puppy is 12 weeks and is going through this at the moment. He nearly got rehomed the other day, he kindly put a hole in my new jeans
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Tonight he has just been a bit too much, he is now destroying his bed, he has a vet bed in a crate which is now a ball in the corner of the crate! Even though he has 3 toys in there. He's had the runs i think because we've changed his food but after spending 6 hours with him, in the one that i went out for he poo'd in his crate once and half out of it all over my living room carpet another time! Now he is trying desperately to stay awake by destroying everything and anything. Had a bad day with him today!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 11:31 PM
He is a young puppy for doG sake, not a toddler.

I learnt a very long time ago that the way to teach a puppy not to nip & mouth is to not react at all when they start & get up & walk away put of the room.

I've never had a puppy that mouths or nips for more than a few days.

I would never "punish"a puppy by crating it, a crate should be a dogs place of safety not a jail.

Changing a young puppy's diet should be done over at least 10 days, replacing the old food by the new 10% a day. Have you been taking your puppy out every hour & staying until he/she has performed as well as after every meal, when he/she wakes up, whenever he/she starts circling or looking like he/she is going to toilet, etc ?
Deanoh
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-10-2012, 12:00 AM
If you watch two pups play fighting, one will bite a bit too hard, the other will yelp and the game will stop for a while.
They are learning "bite inhibition". I have always tried to copy this behaviour so that my dogs are always aware that their teeth can hurt. If the bite is too hard then I yelp and the game stops for a while.
My dog is four years old and I still play fight with him. I make a point of putting my hand in his mouth and maintaining his sense of bite inhibition.
He is raw fed and can chomp through a bone with no problem but he is very gentle with his bite when we play.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by Jesss View Post
Tonight he has just been a bit too much, he is now destroying his bed, he has a vet bed in a crate which is now a ball in the corner of the crate! Even though he has 3 toys in there. He's had the runs i think because we've changed his food but after spending 6 hours with him, in the one that i went out for he poo'd in his crate once and half out of it all over my living room carpet another time! Now he is trying desperately to stay awake by destroying everything and anything. Had a bad day with him today!
All puppies have zoomies where they are rushing around like little piranhas thinking "What can I chew next?" I find that high value chews like dried tripe or pizzle work really well to distract them when they are like this.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >