Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Have to disagree with that Dawn

I have a friend who works in rescue with ex racers and there is no reason that they cannot be rested. I've never met one that was mad like people try to make out they are. My horse when he had his eventing fall was at the peak of his fitness (a top eventing pony (this was England team trials we're talking about!!) is every bit as trained and fit as a top Eventing horse, or race horse) and he coped perfectly well being rested with restricted grazing/movement. Its not ideal, but better than shooting them.

Some horses really dont cope well with box rest, but i have never, in all my years of living and working with horses, come across one that didnt come right with rest. I think the racing world uses excuses as to why their horses are unable to recover from injuries to cover up the real reason - the horse would be costing them money, not making it, and is therefore surplus to requirement.

There is a lot of rescues out there JUST rescuing and rehoming injured racehorses. Many go on to be fantastic riding horses (i loaned one as a child who had broken down on the track, but he was a great horse for what i wanted!!), just because they cannot race doesnt mean they shouldnt have the same work put in to try to save them as any other horse.
Well my friends that work with race Horses do agree and they have been doing it an awful long time. Flat racing and jump racing and point to point, all their lives. I have had a keen interest in racing for around 20yrs now, Im very ok with everything about it. Acceptable risk and all..

With respect a Pony is hardly a 16.2hh thoroughbred.

Most go stir crazy when boxed.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well my friends that work with race Horses do agree and they have been doing it an awful long time. Flat racing and jump acing and point to point. With respect a Pony is hardly a 16.2hh thoroughbred.

Most go stir crazy when boxed.
Well according to Jackbox they are stabled 24/7 anyway so who knows, right?

And thats a rather sweeping statement about ponies and thoroughbred. I've known some ponies that are stir crazy at the best of times. And TBs that are the calmest, most docile horses you could want A fit, top competition pony is different to a hairy happy hacker
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes, except for exercise, try keeping one in without!!!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 03:40 PM
I have seen it done with good results. But theres no point arguing about it. I've seen one thing, you've seen the other. Shall have to agree to disagree
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Ill see if I can find you the pics of my friends horse, (his injury) he should of been PTS on Vets advice, but because he was so laid back he was able to heal, yet one of her others had a far less serious injury and because he went nuts in the box, he had to be PTS.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I can quite understand that Dawn. You have to know the horse and know if what you are doing is right. Its only the owner who can decide that as they know the horses best.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2009, 03:51 PM
So, you're saying that a TB cant be turned out? I am now truely confused.....

I personally think its cruel to keep any healthy horse stabled 24/7. And i know for a fact that most top racehorse trainers turn their horses out in fields in between training them so sorry, still failing to see your point. Lets just ignore the height thing. A top eventing HORSE rather than pony then. Say, one that is competing at Gatcombe, Badminton... That would be the Full Grown Adult Horse version of what me and Charlie did. You think those horses have less training than a racehorse??

If your daughter competed at the same level that i did, then you would know the DAILY training horse and rider require.

And i dont think its very fair to partonize me because you are older.. Its entirely possible that in my "short" years i have seen things that you havent, and have knowledge of things that you dont... With respect Age very often with horses, means nothing.

Jess, if I am mistaken my duaghter is a lot older than you , and as you competed in ponies , she will have gone to on horses.

Did you compete in FEI trials??

And yes I know exactly what is involved in the preparation and training of compition horse

Jess it is possible you have seen more than me , but I doubt it very much...

My point you cant grasp is that there is a world of difference between a 14 2 pony and a TB race horse .

If you cant see it , thats up to you.

We had 3 14. ponies competing at the same time along with a 16 hh SJ , he was only 4 and was in his learning baby days..

We could turf the ponies out in the week between compitions, with them keeping up their fitness training inbetween field and lessons... the horse took far more work, regardless his age.

As for not being able to turn a TB out ,where did I say that... I said a race horse, one in work....I have yet to meet any trainer /owner who turns an in work race horses out to graze........

I know a very well respected Trainer (I think Dawn knows him as well) my frined keeps her flat racer with him.....she never gets turned out, while racing... when she is let down at the end of the season.. then she goes out.

Now if you wish to misunderstand my posts , then I cant do anythign about that.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Yes a lot of racers are turned out of season, but they do have to be let down first, you cant just fling them in a field.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-04-2009, 04:00 PM
I have seen it done with good results. But theres no point arguing about it. I've seen one thing, you've seen the other. Shall have to agree to disagree

What are we talking about here... recouping an racer after a broken leg, or turning an in work(racing) horse out inbetween races.

Cause I am getting confused

Yes a lot of racers are turned out of season, but they do have to be let down first, you cant just fling them in a field.

Exactly , what I was trying to say... out of season..not in season.

And a good point, they need to be let down in stages first.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica
Race horses ...YES.....while in work!!!

Yep, dont forget the exersice
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 >