Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2005, 09:41 PM

To give life, or live forever?

Hello Dogwebbers,
today i was browsing through some magazines in the hospital waiting room, and i cam across a rather intersting articale, i asked the receptionist if i could take the page and she said yes, it was from the mrach 2005 edition of this magazine, which i shall keep nameless for obvious reasons.
Well this article had been written about the theories of a certain proffesor (which for legal reasons shall remain nameless), who claimed by the year 2076 there will be something which makes u remain immortal (sounds a tad proposterous for me but that isnt the point of this thread!)
it was written that this miracle drug taken long term would make the patient immortal, fair enough but in the words of Freddie Mercury 'who wants to live forever'?
But this is all good and well, and anyone reading the article at this point would be thinking ooh intersting sounds like a good idea, but then further down the article was the passage which intersted me most
Taking such medication would make the patient immortal yes, but if this was taken on the mass it would result in no need for marriage, no need for reproduction, no need for children!!!
Basically it would mean that this world would be quiet, and full of IMO decaying old people who aren't living but merley existing. Without children to grow and make the world evolve.

So i put to you, lets say this seemingly bogus theory is or could be feasable, would you want to live together, growing old, so old you merley exsist and see nothing but the same old thing, nothing new happening, or would you choose to be a mere mortal and fall foul of mortality and die in due course, but be able to have children to pass onto the world to create further generations and make the world evolve?
Best wishes
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Well Luke, if I was like my mum 80 and no life whatsoever than just breathing (with difficulty) day to day, I would rather be dead. She can't go outside her flat and is a prisoner, I don't know how she copes with that, she just watches tv and sleeps, that is her life
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2005, 01:31 PM
I'd hate to live forever! Well - maybe not if I could stay young, not work and live a life of luxury!
Seriously though, without going into the religous side of it, our bodies are not now designed to live forever....just not possible!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2005, 02:30 PM
I'd rather die than live forever in this dishonest, sick and violent world
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-08-2005, 05:02 PM
i would sooner pop off when its time to go than live forever,i don't want to be a burden on my kids etc if i was ill etc just sitting at home all day watching life pass me by.no thanks.
life and death go hand in hand as hard as accepting death may be when it happens.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Hmm now i would like to live forever but never age over 30
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi Luke. Well, I am a carer for two elderley people in their 80's and to be with people like that every day has only made me feel that I don't even want to reach that age myself! The woman is housebound, constantly in pain, etc. etc. and although he gets out, he is quite ill himself. No thanks, give me heaven any day, probably when I reached 70 like it should be! We are already keeping people alive a lot longer nowadays, and I'm sure if you asked a lot of them, they would prefer to die gracefully when their time was due rather than be resusitated to live longer and in pain again. Now, if it meant we could stay in our 20's for the whole of our life and longer then that's a different matter! Lol!

p.s. I haven't forgotten!!