View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2005, 02:59 PM
1st of all dont worry, like its been said already if shes healthy she wont starve her self. I know it look bad her not eating her meals. But if she is full on what little she does eat then shes ok. I have been through this too. Barney and Reeno used to be the same, it would take them upto 2h to eat there dinners. Barney can still take a long time but theres a good reason for him. Reeno now finnishes in 15mins (each buiscet is chewed on its own) I found by giving them there dinner for 10mins then removing it worked. But also giveing them less, then if they ate it all during there next feed give them a little more. in the end mine wil lnow eat whats infront of them.
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2005, 10:44 PM
I've also noticed that a single dog in a home will eat at a different rate than dogs in a multiple dog household. Must be confident in that they aren't going to have to share!

If Indie is healthy, as others have said, there's no need to worry. The rations on the back of pouches, cans and bags is a general guideline and aren't exact for every dog. If you find that you're wasting food or having to throw some out, feed her what you know she'll eat.

Feeling the ribs is a good thing. Being able to faintly see the last 2 or 3 is also desirable. I noticed, when I was in the UK, that your dogs are much more thin than ours on average. A healthy thin, not a sickly thin. Sadly, we seem to equate healthiness with pudginess.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mr.Spock
Sadly, we seem to equate healthiness with pudginess.
I need to move near you then
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2005, 11:11 PM
HI jenny

I used to feed Bruno naturediet - and he would actually only eat 1 puch a day - split into half in morning and half at teatime... I used to mix it with wilsons - now I use burns as the mixer and he has a 1/4 of the nature diet.

So perhaps cut her back to 1 packet a day and see how you get on. bruno likes little titbits when he can but I feel that this meal is adequae for hime and can clearly see when he has had too much as he looks like a pot bellied pig... ( eg: when he comes back from granny and grandads - they just give him titbits ALL day and he comes back enormous !! - They are lookign after him for 3 weeks whilst we are on holiday and I know I am going to come back to the fattest dog !¬!!!!
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Sure Katy, I'll keep my eye out on a nice detached house for you.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Kip will not go near her bowl when Cass is eating (Cass is a year younger) but strangely enough when Cass starts eating Kip will go & eat in her bowl, cause we always said she is the greedy one!! Like I said before and others pointed out it comes down to common sense (not trying to put youd down in any way). If your dog wasnt getting enough you would know and if your dog was getting too much hopefully you would realise.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know (for those of you who dont know, that is ) Jenny might be a few days about responding. She moved to her mum's yesterday and still havent got the internet up... Just so u dont think she's rude in not answering your posts

Luna is my only dog. And when she starts her season she doesnt eat properly, and that's when I take the bowl away from her... I dont even wait 10 minutes... Usually she'll eat when the bowl is put down. But during and after season, she will sniff it and go away, and then I take the bowl....
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 09:27 AM
My dogs are fairly large but dont eat as much as people would expect, if they have not eaten all their food and in fact have turned their head away from the bowl I remove it, obviously if they are still eating after 10 m inutes I let them finish, my dogs also naturally purge themselves one day a week approx where they will refuse food altogether, I dont worry about. my bitch will tend to go off her food slightly when in season, and my male will to off his food for quite a few days if she is in season, again I do not worry as they will eat when hungry, I just offer the food if they dont eat it I put it in their fridge til the next meal is due. and re- offer it, I too have also found that multiple dogs tend to eat a little quicker when together, I have kept two pups from our recent litter they eat every meal placed in front of them and are not picky eaters whereby the other pups that went to different homes I find the owners are saying to me Ohhh such a such does'nt like that too much, or for some reason the pup is not eating as well as they did when they were with you, well this was because if I fed the pups they ate it before another pup could claim it I have told them to present the food to the pup if not eaten within 10 mins take away and give nothing til the next meal is due then re- offer at next meal. the new owners are happy to now report that the pups will eat the meals in front of them (even the meals that they previously said the pups dont like).

Mo
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2