View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 12:56 PM

Ever-controversial - I detest what Mary Rae does (split from other thread)

Ever-controversial, I am going to stick my neck out and say I detest what Mary Rae does. Yes, she is obviously very good at training dogs, yes it is all very clever, but I do not like seeing dogs performing tricks for the sake of it. The agility, the fly ball and other doggie routines I highly approve of as it is focussing the dogs on their natural instincts - ie bringing down prey, pack co-operation, etc. etc. But making a collie crawl on its belly?

there is something cringe-making about what she does, as clever as it is. Doubtless the dogs perform of their own free will, they are not beaten into submission, but they do not appear to have the sheer unadultered joy in what they do like the little flyball collies. They perform for mary because they want to please HER, not because the enjoy doing it.

This is my opinion, and will doubtless spark off WWIII !
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-03-2007, 04:57 PM
This post has been split into a new thread.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 05:03 PM
i totally agree with you.
i hat 'heal work' to music
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure it's any different to any other activities.. As long as the dogs are not being forced to do stuff then I've not really got a problem with it.. Lets face it I'm sure we all (or certainly most of us) have our dogs doing little fun tricks just to amuse us... Is this any different.. I dunno but I don't think so...
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I am not keen on it, but if the dogs are happy and looked after thats the main thing, i dont like it so dont watch.

Her talents maybe better used elsewhere but if her dogs like it and are happy she should do it. What i dont like is trainers who use it as an outlet for themeslfs as i remember seeing one on tv a few years back saying she tried acting and she was not a sucsess so this is the next best thing as she could still preform, that imo is wrong. Hopefully she is only one of a couple but i do not know that "area" all that well so cant comment.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Sorry I have to disagree, ,most htm movements are obedience based, and I cant really see much difference. I have a friend who worls her dogs at obedience and incorporates some HTM as her dogs enjoy it.
At the end of the day I really cant see the difference.
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I've taught Jaz a few tricks and we might start a HTM class. She really enjoys doing them, and not just to please me. I think, fair enough if the dog hates doing it, then you shouldn't make them, but if they enjoy it, why not?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 05:33 PM
it's 'heelwork to music' I'd quite like to see a dog heal someone to music!

I have said before I really cannot see the issue here at all.

It's mentally and physically stimulating for the dog, it is NOT just to amuse us. Those of us who watch or take part in this, we don't do it to have a good laugh at our dogs, we do it because we...
1: Enjoy watching the dogs have fun
2: Enjoy giving our dogs something fun and interesting to do
3: Can't necessarily choose other options to do with our dogs

And many many more reasons.

My eldest won't play with toys (despite my best efforts to show him they're not scary) he can't do agility like my youngest and I'm not in a position to work him (whether he could do it or not, I don't know).
I've found that he loves learning new tricks.

Personally I would far rather spend time with him teaching him heelwork to music than have him sit in a corner and grow old with nothing else to do.

I truly think the people that believe this is humiliating for the dog, are far more concerned about humiliating themselves. Since when did dogs get humiliated by working for treats and praise?!

I will ask once again, if the dog enjoys something why or how can it be wrong?!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Amie:

the words "****** off back to your own thread spring to mind !!

You got what you wanted - so please buzz off - otherwise I will have to think that you secretly agree with what I said but are too frightened to say !! lol lol
Oh... sorry perhaps you should ignore my last post, I thought this thread had been made in order for people to be able to debate the issue as it wasn't appropriate on the other thread

If this is just a thread for you lot to slag off anyone who does enjoy HTM then go ahead - I'm a cruel, humiliating dog mummy!!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Amie:

the words "****** off back to your own thread spring to mind !!

You got what you wanted - so please buzz off - otherwise I will have to think that you secretly agree with what I said but are too frightened to say !! lol lol

PS: I love your Leo - I've never met one in the flesh - what are they like? Are they highly intelligent and very wilful like huskies, or are they more biddable?

How Rude I don't really Like it that much tbh I like it beter when its done badly

They are Rather easy to train can be a bit slow or like Kai just plain thick I love them too bits they are happy too walk all day or happy just curled up asleep as longs as they are with you.

I don't think they are the very Easy breed they are made out to be by some people in the breed(not anyone on these forum) they are a massive Dog and if you Don't put the work in when they are young with Socializing etc they can be as nasty as any Dog and not the "gentle Giant" that is often associated with the Breed.

Im seeing a lot of problems with the males(mostly) at the mo mainly from people that have brought one without knowing a thing about the breed but just heard they are a Easy "Gentle Breed!!"
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »