register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: The current state of popular music is...
like Punk never 'appened!!! 9 56.25%
spot on. They produce exactly what I want to hear! 4 25.00%
irrelevant! I listen to Classical FM. (Or similar...) 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-01-2006, 10:19 AM

Popular music...

A few things recently have set me to wondering about the state of the mainstream music industry lately. Always a good one to go off on eh?

I mean there's all this TV shows kicking off music career things. OK, a FEW 'contestants' have impressed me but most make my ears bleed! On the subject of TV, a friend of mine came out with the following the other day: "TOTP ceased to be relevant 15 years ago!"

I've been adding a bit of a punk influence into my collection lately, just some of the more widely known stuff like the Pistols, The Clash and most recently, Stiff Little Fingers. So based on that, thought I'd start a poll...
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Hmmmn i don't think the music industry has that much actually talented new 'talent'. I think over the past 2 years i think the only truly talented, IMO, bands/artists would be: The Killers,
Kelly Clarkson,
Scissor Sisters,
The Kaiser Chiefs
and Franz ferdinand

A lot of these bands and artists that the record companys get in, bear the same 'popy' vocals. Also its shocking how much image and stuff has too do with it these days, half of these so called singers can barely sing in key and DO NOT have a 'unique' voice, a voice thats identifiable, a voice that you could hear amongst others and detect who it was.
Don't get me wrong, there are a few true new talents out there....but they aren't getting a chance with the record companys cause they are devoting their time too the latest band of blonde young girls who show their orange (fake tanned) bellies off, or a male vocalist with a really crap voice but one of those sickening smiles (i.e Shayne Ward who won X factor!), it all sounds the bloody same to me, gimmie a bit of Sabbath, ACDC or Guns n Roses any day!
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Jeez..Stiff Little Fingers..brings back memories ...
I must admit to sounding a bit like my father of late with the sort of mind numbing cr*p that is played on Radio 1....<whispers>"i've started listening to Radio 2"
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Luke
I think over the past 2 years i think the only truly talented, IMO, bands/artists would be....Kelly Clarkson...The Kaiser Chiefs

Oooo i love kelly clarkson and the kaiser cheifs!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Help! I'm not sure what to vote for!!! :smt017

I'm not much into today's 'music'. The odd song or band are okay but it's a bit formatted and formulaic, so I tend to listen to Virgin radio or The Arrow or something that plays older stuff.

I really like stuff with mainly guitars - you know by people who can really play their instruments - Jethro Tull, Wishbone Ash etc., particulary prog rock type of stuff, and I quite like jazz/rock - but these are before punk. I think punk came out as a backlash against what was perceived as self-gratifying and pretentious long pieces.

I'm also getting into jazz a bit (I have just acquired a Jacques Loussier doing Bach cd).
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by mand p
Jeez..Stiff Little Fingers..brings back memories ...
I must admit to sounding a bit like my father of late with the sort of mind numbing cr*p that is played on Radio 1....<whispers>"i've started listening to Radio 2"
Just heard from a guy at work that SLF are still going and are flippin great live! Will have to keep my eyes open...

LS, I reckon self gratifying long pieces is preferable to a lot of the tosh these days. I'm sure there are one or two albums in my collection that could be accused of being 'concept'.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Okay have gone for A then.
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by rich c
Just heard from a guy at work that SLF are still going and are flippin great live! Will have to keep my eyes open...

LS, I reckon self gratifying long pieces is preferable to a lot of the tosh these days. I'm sure there are one or two albums in my collection that could be accused of being 'concept'.
I went to see SLF live many years back and I have to say they were fantastic...
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2006, 07:27 PM
much of the music today is too over produced..bring back real music!!!!!!!!!! lol
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 08:10 PM
im a west life fan i went to mt first ever concert 2 years ago i see them at wembly totally fantastic
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >