Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Inhalers for dogs?

Just had Shila to the vets again for a check up as last week she was quite ill with her coughing etc and they had to up her steriod dosage until she calmed down a bit, she's fine now but the vet has suggested i look at a inhaler for her,

I've never heard of this before and she said i could either go the vet route which will be £80 or the child route which will be about £20, now i dont mind spending the cash if i have to on Shila but im curious as to how it would work?

I've got to go out again soon so havn't even googled inhalers for dogs but does anyone on here use them and are they effective?

Ta xx
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Im not much help here, however, Im sure there is a member on dogsey that uses inhalers on her dogs but cant remember the username. I'll do a bit of digging and come back to you.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi Jem i use an aerosol chamber inconjunction with an inhaler for the dog http://www.bestpet.co.uk/search_resu...FYEZ4QodRV03Og

you insert the inhaler in the end of it.

if you are interested in buying one shop around , when i bought mine it was around £35
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2011, 12:28 PM
they are cheaper to buy direct from manufacturer now;-

http://www.breatheazy.co.uk/dogs.htm

for a RC i have the larger size
Harleygjc
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I have one from breatheazy, small size for my nutty maltese, and so far it's been doing a good job! as she has to have steriods daily and the inhaler version is much better for her.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2011, 12:55 PM
yes, they are effectively much quicker than a tablet, easy to use and the dogs is fine with it.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 04:19 PM
So the dogs dont freak out or anything from your experience?

The vet has said its easier on her stomach as the steriods are going to be long term and its already been 11 months, if its for Shila's well fare im more than happy to do it, had just never heard of it before x
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
So the dogs dont freak out or anything from your experience?

The vet has said its easier on her stomach as the steriods are going to be long term and its already been 11 months, if its for Shila's well fare im more than happy to do it, had just never heard of it before x
the first time she was naturally a tad apprehensive but now doesn't bother her at all.Although she does miss her tablet in cheese
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 04:39 PM
And do u use it everytime the dog coughs?
Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question lol x
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
And do u use it everytime the dog coughs?
Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question lol x
not dumb at all

vet will advise you, i do most times , if we are away then no i give her tablets cos i usually forget to take chamber with me Infact you have reminded me to order a new inhaler
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >